Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deepest coin with AT Pro

What is the deepest coin you have ever dug with an AT Pro that was giving a VDI # that gave you the impression it could be a coin even if it was jumpy. I have never dug a coin any deeper than 6-7” in 8 years with my Pro. Maybe I’m expecting too much from the VDI.

What is the deepest coin you have ever dug with an AT Pro that was giving a VDI # that gave you the impression it could be a coin even if it was jumpy. I have never dug a coin any deeper than 6-7” in 8 years with my Pro. Maybe I’m expecting too much from the VDI
Your experience rivals mine. I've had a A T Pro in my arsenal since they first came out. On my 3rd one now and 7-7.5" is the best I can squeak out of one for depth. And I have a clean, several years old test garden in moderate ground. And that 7 1/2" coin is a mere faint high tone tic. That's with the 11" stock coil. The 12" concentric won't hit my 7" deep silver dime. And that's in pro zero, 0 disc and 8 sen. Best tones of any detector I have ever used, though. HH Jim tn

I don't think there are many coins past 8" deep anyway. I found four different 1800's coins in a sandy field plus 10 CW bullets and other artifacts with my At Pro last year. Guy told me to get a Nox to clean out the deeper stuff which I did. I went over that field 4 times with a Nox 600 and found nothing. I sold the Nox.

With the 5”x8” coil I found a seated dime right around the 6-7” mark. Very faint high tone and gave a very reliable TID reading.

I don't think there are many coins past 8" deep anyway.

I don't know how many might be deeper and admittedly, most coins I dig are under 8" deep, but I dig a few coins each year that are pin pointer and a little more deep with another detector, so there are some. 1 was a pretty nice S L quarter, that I wouldn't have wanted to miss. For what it is, the A T Pro is a fine detector, though. HH jim tn

Your experience rivals mine. I've had a A T Pro in my arsenal since they first came out. On my 3rd one now and 7-7.5" is the best I can squeak out of one for depth. And I have a clean, several years old test garden in moderate ground. And that 7 1/2" coin is a mere faint high tone tic. That's with the 11" stock coil. The 12" concentric won't hit my 7" deep silver dime. And that's in pro zero, 0 disc and 8 sen. Best tones of any detector I have ever used, though. HH Jim tn
That’s good to hear for my sake. I didn’t know if that was pretty much the limit for an AT Pro or if I’m using too much discrimination. I primarily hunt parks and schools and I generally notch out up to 50 to cut down on some of the trash. Getting too old and back is too stiff to dig everything.

I don't know how many might be deeper and admittedly, most coins I dig are under 8" deep, but I dig a few coins each year that are pin pointer and a little more deep with another detector, so there are some. 1 was a pretty nice S L quarter, that I wouldn't have wanted to miss. For what it is, the A T Pro is a fine detector, though. HH jim tn
Yes it is, very dependable and VDI is very accurate until about 5-6” and then it starts to jump around. I read a lot of posts in various detecting groups about coins being found well beyond 7” and I get the feeling that I’m missing a lot of good coins. Just wondering what other people’s experience has been. Sounds like my experience is pretty typical.

With the 5”x8” coil I found a seated dime right around the 6-7” mark. Very faint high tone and gave a very reliable TID reading.
I recently did some bench testing with my stock coil and the 5x8 and was amazed at how close they are in depth. Tested numerous coins and the stock coil was only deeper by about 1” on average, sometimes less than that. I used the same settings for both coils.

I hunt with an Apex, and the numbers are similar to the Apex/Viper coil combination. If the tones/target ID get jumpy and the detector indicates a deeper target, I just dig it. As you probably already know, the 5 x 8 coil is really helpful around iron infested sites. If you have access to and ATMax or another brand of detector from a friend, borrow it and go over some of your favorite sites and see if you find deeper stuff.

A wise detecting mentor (Monte) once told me that with DD coils, its pretty common to see a minor difference in tones/ID when you swing over a deeper coin left-to-right then swing right-to-left. That is the nature of DD coils; a concentric coil design can provide more stable tones/ID but cannot separate as well as a DD. So its a tradeoff issue.

Happy Hunting and Keep Digging!

I don't think there are many coins past 8" deep anyway. I found four different 1800's coins in a sandy field plus 10 CW bullets and other artifacts with my At Pro last year. Guy told me to get a Nox to clean out the deeper stuff which I did. I went over that field 4 times with a Nox 600 and found nothing. I sold the Nox.
I’m considering an Equinox. You may have found everything with the Pro. Can’t find coins that aren’t there. My dilemma is, are they there and the Pro can’t reach them or have I simply never swung my coil over a coin deeper than 6-7”.
I hunt with an Apex, and the numbers are similar to the Apex/Viper coil combination. If the tones/target ID get jumpy and the detector indicates a deeper target, I just dig it. As you probably already know, the 5 x 8 coil is really helpful around iron infested sites. If you have access to and ATMax or another brand of detector from a friend, borrow it and go over some of your favorite sites and see if you find deeper stuff.

A wise detecting mentor (Monte) once told me that with DD coils, its pretty common to see a minor difference in tones/ID when you swing over a deeper coin left-to-right then swing right-to-left. That is the nature of DD coils; a concentric coil design can provide more stable tones/ID but cannot separate as well as a DD. So its a tradeoff issue.

Happy Hunting and Keep Digging!
How do you like the apex? My AT Pro is 8 years old and I’m considering the Apex. What did you use before the Apex?

I used a Garrett GTI-2500. It was a great coin machine in non trashy areas. But it was like swinging a brick on a stick weight wise. I sent it back to Garrett for a complete overhaul and it came back like new as a GTI-2500 Pro. Sold it on EBay. I mulled over the ‘Nox 800 and read all that I could find about it. I had a ML Soveriegn a long time ago and found some pretty deep stuff with it. ML has had about 20+ yrs to mature their SMF detector firmware.

When the news that the Apex release was on the horizon, I watched the live event video. I liked what I saw and decided to try it. I have had it since Oct. 2020. With the ability to update the firmware like other brands, they could release improvements as its firmware matured. I like the light weight, rechargeable battery, Z-Lynk headphones, and choice of single frequency or SMF. I have found a lot of coins with it, as well as relics. They have released one update so far.

I wonder about depth of the Apex, too. It seems deeper than the other detectors I have had in the past, but without the ability to do a side by side comparison with those older detectors, it’s hard to verify. I’ve been to permissions where it seems like there should be old coins but I find none. When I see other detectorists find barbers, etc. at 2”, 4”, 6” deep. It baffles me. The Apex could find those easily, given the same conditions. And a lot of detectorists videos don’t show the trash they dig, and I dig trash too. We all do.

The Apex is not a ‘Nox, but it does a decent job for me in my Ohio soil. At some future time if ML comes out with a ‘Nox 1000 or whatever that addresses some of the ‘Nox 600-800 weaknesses, I might pull the trigger, learn it, then go back to a couple of permissions to see if deeper objects can be found. Also, Nokta is supposed to be releasing an SMF machine this year. I’ll be watching that one as well. Best of luck to you!

I recently did some bench testing with my stock coil and the 5x8 and was amazed at how close they are in depth. Tested numerous coins and the stock coil was only deeper by about 1” on average, sometimes less than that. I used the same settings for both coils.
I have a Sharpshooter coil and your experience is the same as mine. The stock 11" DD should get a solid 2-3" more depth then the 5 x 8. HH jim tn

Hello folks seen this post and had to give my Two cents, I have been detecting with the Pro for 5+ years. on my third year detecting i found a 1844 Canadian half cent at almost 12 inches with the good old AT Pro not kidding at all, came in at a 92 and hit pretty hard as well!

Attachments

• IMG_3402.JPG
    IMG_3402.JPG
    723.8 KB · Views: 204
Hello folks seen this post and had to give my Two cents, I have been detecting with the Pro for 5+ years. on my third year detecting i found a 1844 Canadian half cent at almost 12 inches with the good old AT Pro not kidding at all, came in at a 92 and hit pretty hard as well!
That’s very impressive!