Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deepest Coins/Jewelry finds with the ATPRO

Russ88

I am considering a purchase of the Garrett ATPRO....One concern I have is how deep can coins/jewelry be reached utilizing either the 8 1/2 x 11 or the 5 x 8. My question is what is your deepest verified finds in the two different coil scenarios both on land and also in the water fresh and salt. Very interested in hearing what kind of results can be attained. Your response(s) would both be interesting and helpful.

Thank you
Russ88

I've dug some true 8" deep dimes and 9" deep quarters in my ground with the 11" coil. It is hard to measure actual depth in sand, but I have dug some targets deeper then those just mentioned in dry sand. This is in both fresh water and salt water sand. I use a NEL Sharpshooter for my smaller coil and found it to be deeper then the 5 x 8. But, the Sharpshooter is a inch + bigger, too.

I am on my second A T Pro. I didn't get another one because I considered my first to be a depth demon. But none the less, pretty darn good for a medium price detector. I got my second because of the A T's sweet tone and knowing on a day in and day out bases I could detect penny, dime, size targets to at least 8" deep with a nice repeatable tone and pretty solid target i d. Solid enough to far more often then not determine whether the dime was clad or silver. HH jim tn

Very interesting JIM tn.....Which coil do you use the most? Did you find your first ATPro to be deeper than your second? I am looking at purchasing one soon. Thank you for your report. It is interesting to note that you have had success in varying conditions including fresh water and salt.

Its probably about 50, 50 on the use of each coil. The 11" really target separates very well. Quite frankly, I believe my latest A T might be a tad deeper then my first. Its not real good on wet salt sand, but beyond that, being water proof it is a heck of a detector and can hang with some of the big dogs. You will enjoy your I feel certain. HH jim tn

Hard to give an answer......which coil? Soil Type? Settings?

However, using the 9" x 12" concentric coil, in my soil, win Pro Mode, max. sensitivity, I can easily get coin sized targets down to 8+inches. The audio at greater depths is not always in the high 80's, and often times it is a bit of a whisper, so don't overlook those targets. The same setup works great in freshwater. I can't comment on saltwater, as I don't have any where I live. Any target that sounds faint and reads deep, should be further explored. I think Jim used the 8.5 x 11" DD coil, and he does very well with his.

Here is a video on salt water hunting: http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_pro_saltwater_video_en.aspx

Below is a graph depicting some air tests. These were done with a fast swing speed. Depth will vary in different soils.

Thank you John.....Was not aware of the 9 x12 concentric.....Certainly gives some really accurate readings with a variety of coils. Thank you again. I studied all the charts carefully. Very informative.

deepest coin i found was just a copper penny, it was 9 plus in deep it was with the 5 by 8 coil and was id perfectly, im in fl so the ground is mostly neutral, when i got the at pro i thought the ground balancing feature was broken

Our dirt right here is fairly moderate, but would be fun to hunt in some neutral dirt/sand. 9" with the 5 x 8 is outstanding. HH jim tn

There is no doubt of the 5 x 8 's success......But the 9 x 12 intrigues me. Anyone else have same findings to share on the depth results and separation with that concentric?