Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

deepest Tesoro on coins

togg77

I have been reading about the different Tesoros trying to decide which one would be deepest on coins---of course they all sound good,however,people who actually use them will know best. Soooooo would you guys be so kind as to help me decide. Thanks.

I will say that a super tuned Vaquero with the 9x8 coil does indeed go deeper then my Bandido 2 umax on non ferrous targets that have been in the ground for many years. The Bandido does give a smoother sound on those items.

The Tejon is excellent and deep and I'm sure the cortez would be excellent as well. Cortez has a frequency of 10 which may be a little better all around for coins as the Tejon is around 17-18 frequency, though I've found some deep coins with it.

Depends on the dirt, not the machine.

Only way to tell for sure is to get a few and try them in your dirt.

HH
Mike

The Vaquero in my soil which ground balances in the upper 80s to low 90s on my Deus, at pro and F75 with 1 bar usually on the FE meter. I run my Vaquero with threshold at 3 o'clock, sense 3\4 into boost mode and GB 1/4 negative after a good ground balance. This is tested against the Tejon, Eldorado micromax and Bandido 2 micromax Bandido

other than a very occasional coin. i find them within the first 5-6 inches. got an 1808 large cent at about 3-4 inches. dug a mid 80's quarter at around 8 inches with my vaquero. depth is not that big of a concern with me so much as discrimination. finding the coins in among other things is more important to my liking than actual depth. but it is good to know you have it anyhow.

jld66 said:
other than a very occasional coin. i find them within the first 5-6 inches. got an 1808 large cent at about 3-4 inches. dug a mid 80's quarter at around 8 inches with my vaquero. depth is not that big of a concern with me so much as discrimination. finding the coins in among other things is more important to my liking than actual depth. but it is good to know you have it anyhow.

You must have very stable soil. I live in n.w Florida near Alabama and our grass grows about 9 months out of 12.
In my yard I dug a 83 zinc @ 8" a couple years ago.we've owned our place since 1933,no fill dirt.
That's not the only time,many places I find modern clad in ground that is natural,undisturbed soil at depths that close to being
undetectable by my T2,Tejon and a few inches from my CZ's max depth,that's deep.
My soil is dirt,not sand or sandy. It's rich fertile soil,but deep grass roots with billions of wigglers/earthworms that keep the soil
soft and permeable.
Out west,I just read one of Montes threads of picking up Buffs,v nickles,barbers,standing liberties in the ghost towns hunt.
Their one inch is deep.Dry soil nothing sinks.
Most of my older coins are under old oak trees where roots have stopped or pushes up a coin.
A couple of times a rock several inches down will have a coin sitting on top.
Most of our coins have sunk to level that the deeper the machine is,is very important.

supertraq said:
jld66 said:

You must have very stable soil. I live in n.w Florida near Alabama and our grass grows about 9 months out of 12.
In my yard I dug a 83 zinc @ 8" a couple years ago.we've owned our place since 1933,no fill dirt.
That's not the only time,many places I find modern clad in ground that is natural,undisturbed soil at depths that close to being
undetectable by my T2,Tejon and a few inches from my CZ's max depth,that's deep.
My soil is dirt,not sand or sandy. It's rich fertile soil,but deep grass roots with billions of wigglers/earthworms that keep the soil
soft and permeable.
Out west,I just read one of Montes threads of picking up Buffs,v nickles,barbers,standing liberties in the ghost towns hunt.
Their one inch is deep.Dry soil nothing sinks.
Most of my older coins are under old oak trees where roots have stopped or pushes up a coin.
A couple of times a rock several inches down will have a coin sitting on top.
Most of our coins have sunk to level that the deeper the machine is,is very important.
im in Maine and have hunted in a variety of soils here. just saying my experience with it in this area.

using a wide-range of Tesoro's, and putting them to use in New Jersey, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, California, Arizona, and New Mexico, has provided me a lot of opportunity to evaluate overall performance. Naturally, that provided a wide range of ground mineral content and types of ground make-up, and I used several search coils. Most of the time I used a 7" Concentric coil, in recent years the 6" Concentric, but I also evaluated the round 8" and the 'OOR' 8X9 Concentric coils.

By the way, of the latter two coils mentioned, I get about equal performance from the 8" round coil as I do the 'Out-Of-Round '8X9 and it. I like the 8X9's looks and behavior when I work in shallow water, but don't care for the snagging in short, stiff brush, and it has a heavier 'feel' than the 8".

At different times and places I have had some surprising detection depth results with different models, and at times was impressed with the performance achieved with some of them. Back in '84 with the Inca I was using at the time, I worked my all-time favorite ghost town in northern Utah and found a Chinese cash coin at 10+". I nabbed a ±6" Seated Liberty Half-Dime with a Bandido II, and another deeper one a year later about an inch deeper with a Bandido II µMAX. There have been some deeper Indian Head and early-date Wheat-Back Cents from impressive depths with an assortment of Tesoro models, and they have always been pretty hot on Nickels.

I have owned numerous specimens of certain models because I wanted to evaluate them, or because I just favor them and would get another to put back in my arsenal. Three Tejón's, three Vaquero's, a good mix of Inca, Royal Sabre, Golden Sabre Plus, Golden Sabre II, Silver Sabre II, Silver Sabre µMAX, Bandido, Bandido II, Bandido II µMAX, Pantera, Eldorado 'original' and last-issued Eldorado models .. and one or more of most of the others.

If I had to pick the Top Five Tesoro models that provided me decent detection depth on US coins more consistently, using their 'stock' search coil or a preferred smaller coil for trashier sites [size=small](a 7" Concentric or 6" Concentric)[/size], they would be:

[size=small]micro[/size]MAX-housed Eldorado

Bandido II [size=small]micro[/size]MAX

Lobo SuperTRAQ

Silver Sabre µMAX

Cortés

[size=small]NOTE: These models are listed in the order that produced the best depth-of-detection on US coins, and none are based on a single incident/single detector encounter. These determinations were made from hunts where I was comparing detectors to evaluate performance so at least three or more Tesoro's [size=small](and often some competitor's units)[/size] were used. That let me hear the audio responses, quality of responses, and after target recovery know which make or model had a slight edge over another.

Also, in overall results from a wide range of ground mineral types and locations, the Eldorado gave me the best results, and while most models are still very close, the Bandido II µMAX gave slightly improved depth over the rest, but note the word 'slightly.' One thing I have found typical of many Tesoro models through over three decades, especially with most in the first half of that period, was there could be occasional models that left the factory a little 'hotter' or a little 'colder' than the 'average' out of a production lot.

My current Silver Sabre µMAX and Bandido II µMAX are just that, slightly better than the average specimens I encounter.[/size]

If I was shopping for a new-to-me Tesoro, be it used or brand new, I would want to check it out first, just as I do most of the detectors I acquire, to make sure it worked well and was up to the level of I would expect or require of a detector. In short, I wouldn't want a wimpy-performing Tesoro, and I have had them. Overall, I wouldn't say there was a clear winner as to "the deepest" because some might perform better for me than others, or others might work areas or enjoy the performance of a Tesoro model I don't have or like.

Besides, I mainly hunt very littered old sites where ferrous junk, mainly nails and similar iron, seems to be plentiful, thus I am usually working a site with a smaller coil [size=small](I have the 6" Concentric on all my Tesoro's)[/size] and th4e abundance of trash hampers any reasonable attempt to try and attain any detection depth. And when I hunt sites that are void of abundant trash and the clean environment allows me to seek deeper targets, I have other detectors than my Tesoro's that generally perform better, and deeper, to suit my needs. Thus, 'depth' isn't a big topic for me when I discuss Tesoro's. Performance, on the other hand, in very littered environments, is.

Just my thoughts.

Monte

twotap said:
I will say that a super tuned Vaquero with the 9x8 coil does indeed go deeper then my Bandido 2 umax on non ferrous targets that have been in the ground for many years. The Bandido does give a smoother sound on those items.

Yeah I'd have to agree with that. The Vaquero also seems to run a bit smoother on higher Sensitivity settings. My Bandido is like a raging bull. I usually only run the Sensitivity on 4.

I would have to give the nod to my current Silver Sabre µMax I currently own its one of the hotter Tesoro's that I have owned so far and another in my book is Troy Shadow X2 (Tesoro made) with 7 inch coil I have owned a hot one and a so-so one at one time all Lady Shadows with a B in serial number to tell difference between to models. Just my opinion