Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

defense of the Outlaw

Picketwire

The Tesoro Outlaw is one of my favorite detectors. I bought a used one with the 3 coils for less than $300, about retail for just the coils. I believe the what I consider low price was due to the horrible publicity about the pinpoint button and the fact that people want something new and it was not new enough for them. As for the pinpoint button, I had to send my detector to Tesoro because the toggle switch was cracked. The button has never been a problem to me. It is handy as can be for me.

One thing iI really like is no motion all metal. Where I live is pretty desolate territory and out on the prairie no motion is very handy and I believe vastly underrated. It is deep, it gets signals quite a ways beyond the edge of the coil so you don't miss much and you can tell size and shape very well. When it overloads, push the button in to retune. If it is small, switch to disc and listen or turn the disc up if that helps you identify it. Unless I am cherry picking, I just leave the disc at minimum and dig smooth round signals. When targets get more abundant, go to disc and when you get a signal push the button halfway or even with the bezel and you can tell size very well. Push it in all the way if you like how the Vaquero's pinpoint works better, your choice.

I've seen in posts from Monte that it passes his nail board test 8 out of 8 even with the 8 inch concentric coil and if I remember right got either that or close to it on the half dime test. It covers ground very well with the Cleansweep coil. The small coil is outstanding in iron. The large and 7" DD coils are useful in my contaminate ground and according to what Rusty Henry told me, the Outlaw is deeper than the Bandido 2 micromax. l It is simple and effective, light weight and fun. It detects deeper than I want to dig in parks around here. I can walk around looking at scenery and land layout and not have to watch the numbers. There is no need for a backlight if I hunt after dark, I haven't spent enough time to learn all it is telling me but I will say I understand much of its vocabulary. It can do some things none of my other detectors cannot and of course, cannot do things some of my other detectors can. To me it is like the motocross motorcycles I used to race, better than I am.

I feel bad now for buying used because that would have supported an American business that went out of its way to satisfy their customers and now has disappeared. It is too late to support them now but not too late to enjoy one of their masterpieces. That's my opinion.

I also use all metal, without movement and with a slight hum on the threshold always. I don't use discrimination. My terrain is very mineralized and that way I can go a little deeper. It is true that the threshold fluctuates a lot, but my hearing and brain are used to it and I know when it is negative rock, positive rock or metal, even if it is very deep. I don't mind digging iron; the iron gives me a lot of information about the place where I am.

To those who are addicted to discrimination, you can still use motion or non motion all metal to find and size the object and then use one finger to switch to discrimination and use it for a coin check or do like Revier and thumb up or down. Also for those who like to cherry pick coins and don't worry about nickels, turn up your discrimination to make pull tabs or stay tabs sound bad. You can put tabs on top of the coin and still detect it. The Compadre and Vaquero will also do this with the right coil. Will you still miss coins? Probably but you can sure collect coins faster especially with a Cleansweep coil.

Some of the places around here are very mineralized. Ground balance on the Deus is 87 and the mineralization graph shows about half way up when detecting and goes almost to the top when pumping the coil. The threshold on the Outlaw and the Tejon wavers a lot unless I turn down the sensitivity. Same with the f19 and Gold Bug. To me turning it down helps the targets sound better and reduces the "clutter" from all the iron filings in the soil.