Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deleon and the TID

opus

I own a Deleon, and I'm learning slowly but surely. I like hunting in very trashy area's because I know underneath all those tabs, bottle tops and nails, hides the good stuff! When I come upon a signal that reads 95 sweeping one way, when I sweep another way, sometimes it reads something else, I end up digging the target anyway, you never know! My question is this, can I be interpreting more intelligently, or do I just need to be spending more time in my test garden?

I think you're on the right track. There are a variety of targets than will give the 95 reading. I've dug a lot of metal eraser bands from broken pencils as one example. I'd strongly recommend digging pretty much every thing that sounds good and pay attention to how the trash sounds. After a while you'll recognize targets that don't sound quite right for a goodie or trash, but every 5th or 6th one will turn out to be a goodie. I hit one of those with my DeLeon a while back that I walked away from, thought about it a moment, when back and retrieved a small, silver charm off a bracelet. Always dig when you get a signal that bounces through the coin indications with a trash reading or two mixed in, as these are quite often coin spills. As to more time in your test garden, that won't hurt a thing, but you'll also learn pretty fast by hunt, hunt, hunt, and dig, dig, dig. Takes a lot of patience to hunt through the heavy trash, but you're right about that. You may find it beneficial to use the 7" or 5.75" coils, as well.
BB

I dig most anything reading over 20 on my D. I had a pocket spill the other day in a tot lot. It started pinging 95 solid, and I got a quarter. Reswept and found the other quarter. Moved away, and came back from a different angle, and ID started jumping all over--29-39-75-95-86...etc. Started pulling pennies, both copper and zinc, then a dime and a nickle. It was pretty well spot on for all the different types of coins. Biggest problem with the D in my opinion is the depth meter is very inaccurate on dimes and on many items 1-3" down (just deep enough to not give the classic double-beep if surface coins.). Luckily I don't rely on its depth gauge.

Hi, You have a beaut detector there, and it takes time to learn to use all the information it is giving you. As well as the numbers, also use the bars , but dont use them independently, collate the information they are giving you and then you will have a better idea what your target is. e.g. If you get a numerical signal of 95, look at the bars. It it (or they) are at the left hand end of the screen (not including the depth indicator), then you can bet your boots that you have got some rusty iron under the coil. If the pillar is at the right hand end of the screen, then it could be silver or copper. This principle works in relation to all the numbers and all the bars. Of course,no system is perfect, but this system will give you a good indication. Learn how to "size" using all metal, then you can make the choice to dig or not if you have a good strong signal that is coin sized. The DeLeon is a beaut machine, and I've said before and dont mind saying it again, it is the best machine I have to identify iron.