Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deleon/RSD

bibelot

The Deleon went into a siren song out in the middle of a harness racing track at the county fair grounds. Display tells tab mode 59-62 in number display, but this Deleon was sustaining the signal more so than that of any other regular pull tab. My first 14k gold ring with the RSD coil.

Great work on listening to the audio as well as looking at the visual....very nice find. Tesoro's audio is one of their strengths. HH

In my opinion, the RSD works better than the 9x8 . The only things The 9x8 will do better is get you closer to standing metal objects like goal posts, metal fences, swing set legs..... I noticed is that the RSD coil requires a little more space between the coil and ground for the Deleon's digital display to stabilize on targets. I believe the RSD can separate targets better and when the RSD beeps, it's a repeatable target there. The RSD pinpoints better than the 9x8. The one thing I dislike about the RSD. The RSD coil will interact with my Garrett pro pointer when both are on at the same time. Both will start chirping at each other and go into a tizzy, even if I turn the sensitivity down on the Deleon. The 9x8 never acted that way that I remember. I just shut the Deleon down when using the pro pointer. I have yet to take it off the Deleon and try it on the silver sabre II. It works so well with the Deleon, I'm having a difficult time wanting to switch it out. I might have to buy the sabre its own RSD coil. I was thinking the RSD was not going to work in the trashy ground at the fair grounds in that size of a coil. That was a mistake on my part, the RSD is a very capable coil.

Furious T said:
Great work on listening to the audio as well as looking at the visual....very nice find. Tesoro's audio is one of their strengths. HH
Thank you. I have more of a difficult time with the compadre tone than I do the Deleon or sabre. I wear hearing aids. It might be a downfall as to how the digital hearing aids processes the tones to me. I can easily tell aluminum through all my md's, it registers as a unmistakable high ringing pitch tone. The compadre is too loud. I find myself turning my hearing aids down below normal to help distinguish the tone differences in the lower disc areas but really all you need to do is listen for the smooth round tones and you're golden on most machines. The sabre tone is so much softer ,yet more distinguishable and I can turn my hearing aids up and super tune. lol. I'm pretty much deaf without them, probably why I like to follow the digital display , rather than rely on just the tone alone since there is not any lip movement to follow to know what its saying..Lmao....

Thats wild. On my vaquero I found the 8x9 pinpoints better than the 8x11. Though I have never changed the coils on the same target, can't really say that it has found anything the 8x9 could not have hit also. Yet, it is a different machine. I can tell things like bottle caps better with the 8x11 though. As far as any significant differences, can't really say. I bought it and do use it. But honestly, after using it for a bit, I could have spent the 150 bucks on something else.

jld66 said:
Thats wild. On my vaquero I found the 8x9 pinpoints better than the 8x11. Though I have never changed the coils on the same target, can't really say that it has found anything the 8x9 could not have hit also. Yet, it is a different machine. I can tell things like bottle caps better with the 8x11 though. As far as any significant differences, can't really say. I bought it and do use it. But honestly, after using it for a bit, I could have spent the 150 bucks on something else.
I think if you had a choice when first buying a machine, I think that is where it wouldn't cost that much more to go with the 11x8 than the 9x8 route. Like you, I bought it separately, the 5 pin versions are a little cheaper than the 4 pin Delta coils for whatever reason. You most likely right in what one coil can hit, another will also . Whatever works for you, run with it........

What I'll do is put it on the sabre and see if the results change. You know now that I am thinking about it, I like the 9x8 on the sabre. I took the 9x8 off from the Deleon and put a 7" wide scan on it or I used a 8" brown donut on the Deleon and since it seemed to work well with that and the 9x8 worked well with the sabre, I left it at that until I got the RSD coil. Now I'm not crazy about switching out for the Deleon but I'll put it on the sabre to see if there is a difference.

Is it possible to have a bad coil when it is new ? The 9x8 came stock on the Deleon. I just put it back on the Deleon and put the RSD on the sabre. I know the gold ring that metered at 61-62 and only as low as 59 before I dug it. I put the stock 9x8 coil back on and air tested the ring and it metered from 18 to 44, still in the tabs tab for the most part but it would jump to nickel and iron tab as well when the numbers bounced ? I have no clue as to which one is correct or does the air test differ from actual readings in the ground ?I only air tested coins when I got them as I didn't have any gold to test with but the coins didn't waiver from air test and when in the ground ?

In trying to sort this gold ring reading issue out. I put a 4" concentric,7" wide scan, 8" concentric , the RSD and last the 9x8 concentric coil and air tested the ring. I mentioned that the 9x8 air tested 18-44 which I knew in the ground it gave a reading of 59-62 before I dug it. The 4', 7", 8" and RSD coils all fell right in 59-63 in air testing and like it was in the ground. The 9x8 was reading low again. I had a heck of a time getting the scuff off, I thought I was going to break the scuff before I could get it removed and then I cleaned it and re-tested it again. It still read a lot lower than the other 4 coils ?

I put the RSD on the silver sabre II for this mornings hunt.. I can tell you that it doesn't work nearly as well as it does on the Deleon. There were times I had trouble finding the repeatable signals. I hit a target, couldn't disc it out, I dug a big chunk of iron water pipe out of the ground. It was still signaling at max discrimination ?Does that sound right ? The other thing was pinpointing wasn't near as accurate as it seems to be with the Deleon, many times, I had to scoop the side of the hole out to retrieve the targets. a dime was probably a couple inches off. I couldn't find it and then went back towards the end of the hunt with the RSD on the Deleon and retrieved it through another plug cut. I couldn't even detect it with the pro pointer from the first hole .The dime was located on a sloping grade but I don't have an explanation as to how I was so far off. I knew it was a coin there,I just couldn't locate it.

I don't have an explanation for the RSD working so well on the Deleon and not so well on the Sabre. I'm going to leave it on the Deleon as long as it is working.I picked up and went to the baseball field after the fair grounds. In trying to figure out the difference in the RSD's performance, the only thing I can think of is one is a 2 9 volt battery system and the other a 8 AA battery system ? I would not have guessed it would be a difference. Here is a pic of the crap I dug today. The group on the right was from the Fair grounds, around where I found the gold ring yesterday.I found a folded dollar bill in the area where I found the ring yesterday. I didn't catch it yesterday.The group on the left is from the baseball field, one thing I like is you don't usually dig a lot of pull tabs out on the field but I dug one today and that little tag thing, has a hole in each end, have no idea what it was from but it was out in center field.

Visual readout is nothing more than disc settings without thumbing the knob to know where its at.. You know where it's at if you started on a non digital display machine. I know where nickels fall in and out at from thumbing the knob on a non display machine There is a pull tab that falls right in the same range but from prior experience, you know which is which from the sound but yet you still dig an occasional tab. I could tape the display but since I learned on a non display machine, it wouldn't bother me to lose the display as long as I can still thumb the knob. There is a pull tab out there that rings in as 95, I can't disc it out. I'm still digging that tab, it could be a Quarter......If your not digging tab targets on the digital display, your missing out on more than just pull tabs. There are no sure short cuts, For every short cut, there is a trade off or missed opportunity.:detecting

Sometimes it is better to not go with the screen and just dig it anyways. I have had some pretty good luck not always going by the screen. The only times I really want a screen is when I am cherry picking and only have a short about of time. I can do the same thing just turning up the disc and going on along. Keep up the good work and you seem to be coming right along with your new hobby!!

I've dug a few good surprises by ignoring the screen reading. One time I walked away from what I was sure was a junk reading that sounded off (as in different). Turned around and went back and retrieved a small SILVER scotty dog pendant from a charm bracelet. Also, on the D if you get bouncing numbers that include multiple coin indications, always dig as 2 or 3 times out of 5 you'll likely discover a coin spill. In my soil, the D generally gets very good depth and runs more smoothly with the sensitivity at 7 to 8.
BB