Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deleon vs Cortez

cladcanada

Pros / cons of both. Best suited for . Cleansweep compatible?

I’ve owned and enjoyed using both. They work well for Canadian coins. Basically if it flashes 95 even once while swinging over a target go ahead and dig. I would be hard pressed to find a reason to recommend the Cortes over the Deleon. I suppose the fact that you can GB in AM is something. But I would find a used one. They’re overpriced in today’s market, in my opinion.

Thx Dan I'm looking for a home for my cleansweep coil. Vdi would be great. But the Mojave has 180 'disc . Cortez has all metal gb and a backlight. So far it's pretty good on my silver with our goofy coins .

I've got both and agree with Dan -- for the most part hard to favor the Cortez over the DeLeon, at least in the areas I usually hunt.
BB

Thx guys

I have owned [size=small](past-tense)[/size] and used both the Cortés and De León, and was not impr4essed, overall, with these models. I think part of that relates to how detectors are used and what category of application they are applied to. I got started in this great sport in march of '65 as a typical beginning Coin Hunter and still put in my share of time chasing modern change at typical sites. However, in may of '69 I got my first taste of Ghost Town Hunting , which fits the category of Relic Hunting and gradually that occupied more and more of my hunt-time afield.

As time went by I looked for more locations around older parts of bigger towns where I could employ Relic Hunting techniques to hunt old-use areas that abounded in iron target contamination combined with dense overgrown brush, weeds, trees, building rubble and so forth in search of coins, trade tokens, or any smaller-size artifact of interest to include buttons, old metal toys, etc. My interest in Relic Hunting had increased through those fourteen years and then, thanks to Tesoro, took a major leap forward in dedicated searches and splendid success afield staring in July of '83 when they introduced the Inca. Tesoro's first major promotion of a slow-motion/quick-response detector. The one that started a very proven trend, for Tesoro as well as in the industry in general.

At that time I changed my brand affiliation as a detector dealer and since then have always had at least one, and usually two-to-four, Tesoro models in my 'Regular Use Detector Team'. I have owned and used other brands, most that featured visual Target ID and audible Tone ID, but for serious work in the ugly contaminated debris sites I prefer to hunt, they had to try and compete with a Tesoro ... and very few of them ever did. Today, my detector battery consists of several makes and models, three of them in duplicate as I keep each model equipped with a smaller size coil and a mid-sized coil I prefer to use. But in my travels, I still always have at least one Tesoro along.

For many places I like to hunt in an urban environment, especially when going after modern coinage, the Tesoro's get more work-out. And in the past 35 years I have been using Tesoro's, as of this coming July, they have accounted for probably 90% of the good gold and silver jewelry I have found, and, as well as at least 85%, and maybe as much as 90%, of all the older dated coins and trade tokens I have recover on my Relic Hunting adventures.

cladcanada said:
Pros / cons of both.
Let's start with the Pro's:

• Both the Cortés and DeLeón provide the anticipated slow-motion, quick-response and fast-recovery Tesoro performance when working in a dense-target site.
• They still give very good battery life as we have come to expect from Tesoro.
• Build quality is very good.
• They have a very good array of optional search coils they can use. * [size=small]See Cons regarding this.[/size]
• Usually, unaltered from stock set-up, they are going to work well in the majority of hunting environments.

Now for the Cons:

• The Cortés has a smaller-size display to try and see than does the DeLeón.
• They are both over-priced compared with the current market for competing products. Way overpriced, and that was a long time ago!
• The each rely on an internally preset GB trimmer that is adjusted to usually work satisfactorily with the supplied stock search coil.
• With both models, I interchanged several search coils and found that, more often that I cared for, the internally set GB was inadequate and caused falsing.

I am sure I could find a few more goods and bads, but once the models I had became useless to me due to an inefficient Ground Balance that wasn't easily correctible, I got rid of the detector.

cladcanada said:
Best suited for.
In my opinion, these two models might work best for an 'average' Hobbyist for everyday Coin Hunting, especially in mild to moderate ground mineral sites in typical urban environments.

cladcanada said:
Cleansweep compatible?
Yes, but only if the particular coil and specific unit have a good, functional Ground Balance. When I had my Cortés I tried a Tesoro 7" Concentric, Clean-Sweep, 8" Concentric and 10X12 coils and it only had a workable ground balance with the stock coil and the 8" Concentric I had on-hand. The GB was too negative with the 10X12, 7" Concentric and Clean-Sweep and that resulted in a lot of falsing. Similar experiences happened with the DeLeón and with some other specimens I checked out. Oh, that brings up another point of interest regarding these two models.

USA coinage is made of more noble metals and can produce more consistent visual TID's, but those darn Canadian coins, the bulk of them, are made of nickel, steel and other mixes of magnetic metal properties and, as we know, that can result in a more erratic numeric Target ID. Tesoro tried, only a few times, to offer the end consumer a visual TID model but of them all, the ONLY Tesoro model with a display that worked favorably for me was the Toltec II. But again, that was with the better-metal make-up on coins down south of our border.

As I stated, I have a few Tesoro models, but when I want a versatile, functional and reliable Target ID model, it is a competitor's device that is in my hand.

Just more observations from using a lot of detectors for many, many years. Oh, one more thing. I am a member of three metal detecting clubs in two states, and I host a couple of Welcome-to-Hunt Outings the past three years as well that has drawn participants from up to 11 states so far. None have had either model you ask about. I can't think of a single club member who has one of either model, either. I have been conducting day-long seminars and sometimes 2-Day seminars since the spring of 1981 in four states so far. In all the years of doing seminars that either I have hosted, or those I have been contracted to do for metal detector dealers, I have seen one ... only one ... of either model brought to a seminar.

I'd consider either a different brand, if you absolutely want a visual TID detector, or get one of Tesoro's proven and reliable models that lacks any display. Those are what I have, and they still work well for me.

Monte

Thx Monte, as usual great advice

I have yet to find a machine with disc as usable as the compadre for our horrid money , I'd like to see more test done using our clad . worst clad in the world i think . Too Bad very little history i my area, but the clean sweep is an excellent coil so far. most likely get a mojave and have the benefit of the 7" coil and the clean sweep. Thx all for info.