Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Delta 4000 - what happened when I used it in the rain.

MickTwin

All of us know how much better it is to metal detect while the ground is moist. It's easier to dig AND signals are easier to come by. I wanted to take advantage of all the rain we've been having on the East Coast and took my Delta to the park recently. A light drizzle made me put a ziplock bag over it (punched the 1/8 plug through the side). I've had it about a year now and it's performed flawlessly.

I noticed, this time, however, that all the quarters I found were showing as dimes. While the VDI numbers seemed right, the indicator never went above dime (no quarter or 50c+). It was really weird and I was about to send it in for repair.

Last night I took off the baggie and tested it in the house - still couldn't get it to go above dime.

Today, however, after it was back in my hot truck all day (finally got some sun here in NY), It tested fine.. back to it's old self. I think the high humidity and the fact that I left the bag on it had something to do with it being weird.

Just be careful and "keep your powder dry" :detecting:

I had a Whites once that fogged up inside the meter everytime I put a plastic bag over it. For two or three days it was off on the meter till it dried out inside I guess.

Good information. I just bought a delta 4000 and have only got to go a couple of times. Have found over 50 coins so far and one silver ring. Great detector for the money.

Whenever I use a plastic bag over my control housing, I remove the bag when I've finished detecting, then put the detector in a dry warm airy place so that it can rid itself of any moisture build-up. Moisture can get into the housing through the speaker vent or the earphone socket (if not using earphones). Opening battery compatment and removing batteries can also assist in "airing". HH

Try putting one of those "Dry Silica Bags" inside your plastic ziplock. bag, may have to tape it to the back of the control box. It surely couldn't hurt anything and I know it would help with the moisture.

Mine goes nuts after about a 1/2 hour in the water. ... Coil must be leaking, I am not even getting close to the getting the head unit moist. I bought it used and that's how it was.

Tight plastic bags are BAD...you need to have a breathing hold at the bottom...trapped air MUST be able to escape or your gonna get condensation = BAD!!!
This is why all commercial covers are not air tight...

HH,

Might be an idea, make a little tiny bag out of cloth, with a pull string, fill it with rice, and tie it to the detector under the cover or zip lock bag, that should suck any condensation out or keep it from building up. Trick for when your cell phone get wet, drop it in a bag of rice for a couple hours.:thumbup: