Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Denton, MT sidewalk replacement hunt(s)

MT_VertCaver

The cement sidewalks here in Denton are being replaced. So I am going to hunt them as much as I can. The sidewalks (this is a guess) date to the late teens/early twenties. Before that, Denton had wood boardwalks.

Tonight (8/24/211) was my second hunt. A total of 3 blocks(North side only) have been torn up. I made a pass up one side and down the other. I think that some of the cement is much newer. I found pulltabs in front of the library which was built in the 1960's. I found a modern nickel in front of the grocery store.(I think it fell out of the outdoor soda machine when they moved it around the corner.)

THEN things got better. Found three Barber dimes and a V Nickel in a small area.:cheers:
The dimes are:
1903O, 1905S, 1914D
The nickel is in EXTREMELY poor condition...but I can see that it is an 1899.(My first V nickel:spin:)

I'll keep posting my finds here....as the sidewalks get torn up and I get to detect them.

The old photo is from 1915. On the right side of the photo are the first two blocks that I have hunted. The third block is just off camera to the right. I'll have to get a modern photo up for comparison. The bank on the right is still here. So are a couple of other buildings.

Great story. Keep us posted.

Nicely done! Congrats on the 3 Barber dimes, as well as your first V Nickel. Keep working that coil 'til the new concrete is poured. And if they are hauling any of that dirt away, find out where it is being dumped and go through it very thoroughly. I have a feeling you ain't done there yet! HH Randy

Nice going! I was able to do the same last summer in Monticello, NY, but only very limited due to time restraints. I found a large cent (very poor conditon), and a few Indian Head pennies, some in nice condition. It was a lot of fun... Enjoy, you never know.

I took a different approach last night (5/25/2011). I changed the coil to the HF 5x10 and targeted the first area that I found coins. I was hoping that the DD coil would help separate the nail signals better. Not sure if it actually did.

I found two more nickels! Both are 1906. I didn't hunt very long last night. Needed some sleep.

They have now ripped out sidewalk into the residential blocks. I didn't feel comfortable detecting in peoples front yards at night.... I'll wait until I have some time off during the daytime. I'm not sure those areas will yield much anyway, they tore out everything to over a foot of depth.

Rick

Went back again tonight(8/28/2011). Found a few modern pennies.

The 1902 dime was found in one of my old holes.....ooops, missed that one. And found another nickel--1902. I'm not getting much for "good" signals anymore. I also tried the residential area. NOTHING. Very quiet. I don't expect to find much there.

I found a corner that has a date. I think it is either 1916 or 1918.

I'm looking forward to hunting the south side of the street!! :detecting:

I think that I will quit hunting the project until they move to the other side of the street. They have hauled a lot of dirt away and I'm just not finding stuff anymore. I haven't found anything in their large dirt pile at all.

Last night I did find a couple things... First was the nickel - 1894 - (my oldest coin) which I found in the "junk" pocket of my finds pouch when I cleaned it out. I apparently missed the "keeper" pocket.:unsure: ALWAYS take a second look at your junk!!:blink:

I don't know what the fancy, decorative thing is. Rang up as a 22-24 TID. This was the only keeper target from last night.

Rick

After consulting with my antique expert(my mother), I now think that the "decorative thingy" is a woven wire cross pendant. Does anyone know anything about this type of jewelry? Technique? Type of wire?

I don't know anything about that type of jewelry, but I think Mom is always right!

After doing some research and asking a few questions on other forums, I think the "cross" is silver wire work from Mexico or another southern country?? One thing that bothers me....if it's silver, why did it TID at 24?? Because of all the loops?

They are beginning to put in curbs today. I expect the north side of the street to be finished next week. Then work on the south side should begin.:detecting:

Although, I'm not going to sift through the dirt pile(I don't know how many tons of material are in the pile), I did scan the surface of the new dirt last night. Most of it was from the residential blocks. Not much there, but I did find a clad quarter and an 1956 Austrian Two Groschen coin. It's made from aluminum!!

I'm still waiting for them to start removing the cement on the S side of the street.

Meanwhile....I'm still trying to find out - for sure - if I have an 1894 V Nickel or not. It's REALLY hard to read the date.

So I decided to take the crusty 1906 and try to remove the crust. I tried soap and water, olive oil, aerosol brake cleaner, and REAL carb cleaner(5 gallon bucket). What I found to do the best job was to soak it in Spraway window cleaner. I got a little over zealous with rubbing the coin with a toothpick in places. I might try soaking the potential 1894 in the Sprayway...and then GENTLY rubbing it until I can get a definite date.

Here's some pics of the 1906. Obverse - Reverse - Reverse after cleaning.

Rick

They finally got to the business blocks on the south side of the street.

I haven't had much luck. For two nights I used the 10" MF DD coil. All I found was the ribbon(?) tag and a piece of metal stamped "Denton 100". I'm thinking it might be a dog tag......??

Tonight(9/22/2011) I almost didn't go back. BUT, I changed back to the 9" concentric and gave it a try. I'm not sure if it was the coil, or that I'm more familiar with this coil, or they moved more dirt around, or just luck....but I found a 1912D Barber dime and a Chinese(!!!!):surprised: coin. I THINK I can match the symbols up to a Chinese coin that dates 1821-1850(Emperor HSUAN TSUNG). That would make this my oldest coin.:detecting:

NOW...do I go back over everything again with the 9" or switch to the 5x10"??:shrug:

9/22/2011 Hunt
I decided to switch back to the 10" MF DD coil. I lowered the sensitivity and moved MUCH more slowly. Seemed to work much better.

I found a 1907 V Nickel, 1925D penny, and a 3 1/3 cent token for "Happy's Billiard Hall, Denton, Mont.", and the remains of a pocket watch(Patent July 28-02, Man 8-06). I looked and looked for the case....but nothing.

(PS the date in the last posting should have been 9/21/2011.)