Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth Control

Adrian SS

Does the Depth Control on the Scorpion have any effect in the Motion Disc Mode.
What sort of Air test distance at zero disc in Motion Disc Mode could I expect from the Scorp on a coin such as a US Quarter?

The depth control, if I remember correctly, works only in all metal mode. The 10 turn audio control also compliments the depth. I usually turn the audio knob until the unit becomes unstable in the air, then rotate the knob x 2 revolutions counter clockwise to get a decent setting.

I went and did an air test with a Canadian quarter, same diameter as a US Quarter. It is nickel plate over steel, so I imagine I was picking up nickel, as it was fairly new with no real wear. With the standard 5 " x 10" DD Coil, I got 8 1/2 inches repeatable signal for an air test in zero disc motion disc mode. I tried my wedding band, a fairly small 10k ring with the same settings and it gave a nice repeatable signal at 9 inches. Just an aside, when I get a signal, I center the coil over the target, switch to all metal mode and then pull the coil towards me and when the audio stops, the target is at about at the toe of the coil. Not only do I find it much more accurate to pinpoint, but the sound quality of the target and how fast it stops gives me some insight into the conductivity and size of the target.

Hope this helps Adrian.......

Hi John,
Yes thanks mate, that helped a lot.
I thought my second hand Scorp was faulty but now I know it is fine. the Depth control does not get much of a mention in the operator manual.Cheers,
Adrian SS

Adrain-on the Scorp (I got 2 of em) in all metal and ground balanced, and the depth at max, the tone should start coming on (weakly) the quarter at around 13 1/2 in, at least the 2 I have do with the standard, stock 5 x 10 coil, and the ring at around the same distance, this is with the target just laying on the ground, mild Indiana soil, that's what the two I have do, with the small coil It's a little less, not a whole lot tho, just play with it, won't take too long you'll get it all down , Ol' Charlie Garrett says give yourself 100 hours to learn any detector, good luck and HH:garrett:

Thanks for the information chaps.
I found a Discrimination Sensitivity adjustment on the cct board and gave it a bit of a nudge and now the scorp is fine. I am very happy with this machine; Not sure why I waited so long before getting one.

Cheers
Adrian