Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth Devil signal booster

joe dirt_1

I recently purchased a Depth Devil from the gentleman that builds these signal amps. Many of the old timers here will probably remember the Depth Master signal amps from back in the 80's and how they amplified the weak signals
and kept large targets from blowing the headphones off your head. While these amps don't add extra inches of depth to your detector, they do make fringe signals from deep targets louder where you are less likely to pass them by.

Frank (the gentleman that builds the Depth Devil amps) is building some very powerful signal amps with an LED light to show when the power is on, a rotary knob to increase the gain, and another toggle for two levels of amplification.
I tried the Depth Devil on a Tesoro Silver µmax, Tesoro Mohave, and a Troy Shadow x2 so far, and every time it worked great.....much louder signal response on all targets. I will be trying the amp on the rest of my detectors if the rain ever stops.
I have no doubt it will work great on the other detectors also. If you are considering buying a larger coil for your detector for a little added depth, you might want to check these amps out first. It's half the price or less than a new coil and you can swap it around to your other detectors..............HH

Roger

that is nothing more than an audio booster. It only amplifies WHAT IS ALREADY THERE. It's not making the machine "go deeper". So unlesss you have a wimpy pair of headphones, you don't need it. Why not get a better pair of headphones ? Like killer B's ?

Tom did you read my post ? If you did, I stated exactly what you just posted. I made no claim that it made your detector go deeper,but that it amplified the existing signal to make it easier to hear.
I do have Killer B headphones plus several other pair of quality headphones and the amp Still makes the signal sound better. If you don't like the amps then don't use one, but I will keep using mine because it works.........:shrug:

Yes I read your post. But thought you were someone using vocabulary in such a way, that you thought it was doing something more than what it does. Ie.: when some people talk of "amplifying weak signals", they think that means the SIGNAL ITSELF (ie.: the depth of the detector itself ) is "going deeper". Ok, so with that cleared up:

If you can hear everything your Killer B's already from the machine, then an amplifier shouldn't be necessary. But .... if you're in a noisy environment where more volume is needed, or if you're hearing is-such that more volume is needed, then sure, they'd help.

I just know that with my killer B's, the LAST thing I need is "more volume". My ears are ringing at the end of a long hunt (especially if the ground is littered with iron and I'm using 2-tone all-metal mode, letting my ears-do-the choosing of signals).

For the detectors you listed , they are all monotone beep-or-no-beep type machines (various 2-filters). For me personally, whenever I'm using those type machines, I've found even cheaper headphones to be just fine. I don't need the top-end higher expanded tone-range headphones. I only need the higher-end headphones for my explorer II, which had much more need to discern nusances of tones and growls.

Hence I guess it's just a personal audio preference for each individual.

I do see a value in a signal booster. You might want to consider using an external speaker in really hot weather conditions. In this case, the signal booster is a valuable addition. I actually use a gold screamer on my GPX5000.

The signal amps are just another tool to add to your detecting arsenal. I do agree that you don't need it where the targets are shallow and easy to hear, but they work well on the deep faint targets. As Tom stated it's a matter of personal audio preference.

Still got mine.

dfxdepthmaster.jpg

GOOD mercy roger,you have more detectors than I have socks :rofl: you lucky dude.If that was me I would have to move in with my pooch and pay him rent.:look:Which ones are you willing to sell?Which top three are your favorite ones?cjm

GOOD mercy roger,you have more detectors than I have socks :rofl: you lucky dude.If that was me I would have to move in with my pooch and pay him rent.:look:Which ones are you will to sell?Which top three are your favorite ones?cjm

C.J.M...... That's the advantage of being a single guy.....:lol: I'd have to say my favorites are the Nokta Fors CoRe, T2 Classic, and the White's MXT PRO. I still love the old school Fisher 1266 x.....spent many hundreds of hours on that old war horse.
Nothing for sale at the moment, but will probably thin the herd a bit some day....until then my bank account is gonna suffer......lol......HH

Roger