Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth Difference ~ big mono & 8"

Ken~Digs

What amount of Depth will I sacrifice in % or Inches trying the 8" Mono instead of My 10 X 14 Please ? For Land & Sand both . Thanks - Ken

Looks like the large mono coil and the smaller one are not too far off in air depth. PI's just don't work well in the air, they need a matrix to get a better reading. But, the large coil is light, covers more area, and add a little halo to the target, and it should be a killer. Because the size of the larger coil, it was picking up more electrical interference at lower threshold settings, so the results don't really justify greater depth with the smaller coil. The test was done in my living room. The tiniest target, however, the 22 lead bullet didn't fair so well with the larger coil, an expected result. But the air test did show that the higher the threshold setting, the deeper the target can be picked up.

[size=medium]Hi John & Thanks for re-Posting it anyway. I understand the Parameters Your referencing on Air/Ground differences & Agree 100%. I have only used the big Mono and should have the new 8" maybe tomorrow or monday. I think it will do well for tight Areas, pinpointing & tone/threshold for Gold searching . I work slow & methodical so i'm not concerned with covering a big area while nugget shooting - primarily. I will try it on So-Cal beaches this Summer near LA & try it for Nuggeteering So Cal & Oregon as well. Thanks for the Correspondance John ~ Ken[/size]

Because I search for rings and coins, I like the large mono coil, because it is not as sensitive to tiny targets, such as the 22. However, if I was searching for gold nuggets and micro jewellery, I would use the 8" mono. The large DD coil would be my choice for extremely high mineralized soil, which I just don't have around my parts.

John... it might be a good idea to repost your histogram comparing threshold setting-depth comparisons between the 14" elliptical mono and 8" round mono on a Jefferson nickel. I felt that histogram was a very good relative comparison...

Jim H. (Canada)