Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth Gauge on Racer 2?

cashmole

For the life of me I can't see a depth guage showing the target depth on the Makro Racer 2...Am I blind?

Target depth is shown when pinpointing. It's the only thing I don't like about my Racer 2.

Dave_E said:
Target depth is shown when pinpointing. It's the only thing I don't like about my Racer 2.

Thanks. I finally figured that out. Thats kinda stupid because you have to pinpoint every target to see if it's deep enough to be silver. Have you ever used a Minelab Etrac or Safari and if you have how do you think the racer 2 compares. I use a Safari but I don't like the TID because it only goes to 40. Targets are too closely grouped together. I like the Racer 2's 0-99 TID. I had an AT Pro but it wasn't as deep as my minelab.

At least coin depth gauges, displays, in any form.

cashmole said:
For the life of me I can't see a depth guage showing the target depth on the Makro Racer 2...Am I blind?

Thanks. I finally figured that out. Thats kinda stupid because you have to pinpoint every target to see if it's deep enough to be silver.
Most detectors that feature a Coin Depth read-out have it associated with, and activated by, the Pinpoint function. Yes, some do have a 'scale' or 'estimated gauge' on the display with the Target ID info during a search, but overall a Coin Depth read-put is really nothing more than an 'approximation' of a coin's depth, and that varies by the coin's size [size=small](diameter and thickness)[/size] and even alloy content, orientation in the ground, and more.

And what do you mean by "deep enough to be silver?" Other keeper coins/objects can be wherever silver coins/objects might be, and with over half-a-century of very active metal detecting under my belt I can assure you that most of the silver coins I have found, and continue to find, are not deep. Naturally, most of the coin location on or in the ground is going to be dependent upon deposition [size=small](erosion, buildup of grass clippings, leaf droppage and decay, addition of fill material, etc.)[/size]. Also by displacement, such as cattle and other animal activity, human activity, or vehicular activity and other things atop an object such that it might be move a little deeper.

Coins don't really 'sink' but get displayed or in some other way moved or covered up. I prefer to hunt older sites, so site selection is very important. I select older sites that are out-of-the-way and have little disturbance other than acts of nature to change things. I hunt older sites because I prefer older era coins, trade tokens and period artifacts, and in most cases, like ±90% of the time, the targets are not deep, but instead are either on the surface, just slightly below the surface and eyesight, and down to depths in the 3" to 4" range.

cashmole said:
Have you ever used a Minelab Etrac or Safari and if you have how do you think the racer 2 compares.
E-Trac I swung for maybe 5 minutes. Safari about 20-30 minutes. That's all it took to let me know I didn't like them for the bulk of my hunting. I have owned other FBS models, such as 7 of the Explorer XS and II versions and one Explorer SE Pro. I also borrowed and used a CTX-3030 for about a week doing side-by-side comparisons with the Explorer II I owned and other detectors I used. In comparison, I no longer own a heavy, awkward, clumsy, FBS detect6or that is terrible in the dense iron debris sites I hunt.

I prefer the Racer 2 to them for the lighter weight and nicer balance, ease-of-operation and simplicity to access the controls that are all functional. I also get better all around performance afield, like the cost of both the detector and accessory search coils, and other things more appealing to me. All for the same reason I have my Nokta FORS CoRe and Relic joining my Racer 2 in my regular-carry detector battery. Well balanced, simple, functional, and provide excellent in-the-field performance in low to extreme trash environments.

cashmole said:
I use a Safari but I don't like the TID because it only goes to 40. Targets are too closely grouped together. I like the Racer 2's 0-99 TID.

I had an AT Pro but it wasn't as deep as my minelab.
I had a borrowed AT pro and it was/is an OK detector in general, but it still falls a little short for me in dense iron performance, plus it is top-heavy and not that well balanced, at least not like my CoRe, Relic or Racer 2. I also like the TID more than I did the FBS models. Like anything, there is no perfect detector made, but there are some excellent detectors out there, and all we each need to do is select those that we are most comfortable with that give us the results we demand at the sites we like to work.

Monte

I just got a slightly used racer two yesterday, havent gotten out in the real world with it yet but a depth meter is one thing I wish it did have, and on mine when I do a pinpoint with it the numbers for depth are way off on my two buried coins. On my quarter at 8" I get 5 on the racer2 and on my dime at 8 to 9 inches i get the number 3. That's not so good, my other detectors are pretty spot on with depth, a CZ7A pro, Deus, F75, and ATPro

skarmajunga said:
I just got a slightly used racer two yesterday, havent gotten out in the real world with it yet but a depth meter is one thing I wish it did have, and on mine when I do a pinpoint with it the numbers for depth are way off on my two buried coins. On my quarter at 8" I get 5 on the racer2 and on my dime at 8 to 9 inches i get the number 3. That's not so good, my other detectors are pretty spot on with depth, a CZ7A pro, Deus, F75, and ATPro
Out of the box, the Racer displays depth in centimeters, but this can be easily switched to Standard measurements.

Kapok said:
skarmajunga said:
Out of the box, the Racer displays depth in centimeters, but this can be easily switched to Standard measurements.

That sounds like the issue.

Turn off your Racer 2.
Press the + and - buttons at the same time, then turn the Racer 2 on.
The display will show US on boot up and will now display inches instead of centemeters.