Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth how do you measure

daddyflea

I hear so much about Depth, but how do you measure?

For most people it is how deep in the ground do you find coins, but is this really fair to the detector. I have been hunting a place where there is Stubble created by a Shredder. This is not close cut leaving it 4-5 inches to the ground in a lot of places. I rarely find a coin deeper than 4 inches in the ground.

To keep my sanity I intentionally run my V3i pretty low to stop false blips and permit me to swing fast. This is Sen on 6 with Discr at about 80. I run Best Data with a DETECH 10X12 coil. This place is big so I need to cover ground.

I feel I am getting better than normal depth. I found about 5 coins my last outing and all were older than 1940. Two were Buffalo Nickels.

I measure the depth in the ground plus the distance the coil is above the ground to find the actual depth the coil is reaching. Most areas I hunt in the summer don't have much grass or ground cover so depth in the ground is pretty accurate. In some areas that aren't mowed regularly (or at all) I can't get the coil close to the ground so adding the depth above ground seems a fair although subjective way of estimating the actual depth.

Some places have coins at 8" to 10" and some places, as you said, 4" or less. I nearly always crank up the sensitivity if conditions allow just to see if there is anything deeper then adjust accordingly and/or change coils.

BTW nice finds on those Buffaloes.

Hi daddy flea, Have you tried filters? Depth meter not so important my opinion but filter will eliminate ground for false signals and will alow you to raise sensitivity for depth.

Detector depth is measured in the ground. Being able to tolerate a large air gap and still get maximum depth in the ground is a feature. I'm not sure the V3i has that feature.

HH
Mike