Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth Improved

cachenut

Well I am getting better depth now but I did it differently.

I used conductivity and the standard coin discrimination pattern. I upped the gain to 8 and increased sensitivity to 20 and this started bringing up pennies from 7 inches where I am hunting. It is a big improvement over the usual 3 inches on a penny.

I did try the other methods. Reducing discrimination to a minimum and using ferrous but I could not get it to work. With ferrous there were so many high tones I spent all my time checking them out. I usually get about 2 targets per swing where I am and low discrimination made it sound like a bag of microwave popcorn. Maybe in areas w less trash it will be easier.

All with deep of course.

I dig weak signals and iffy targets if they are deep. I sweep slowly and check out all maybe sounds cause the coil need to be right on top for the deeper coins. It can take almost a minute for me to find the right spot where the tone repeats and I know where to pinpoint. If I get a a 0 -3, 28-30 at anytime I dig even if it does not repeat to get any junk out of the way. This has not helped on non repeating targets yet but I consider it good policy. ??

Joe.

Well the depth thing works. I found two silver dimes today a 1944 merc and a 1950 Eisne. There were down about 6 inches. I also found 5 other dimes early 60s at about 6 to 8 inches and one Lincoln cent down about 10 inches. 1 wheatie from 1956 and a couple of early lincoln cents.

So my depth adjustment with discrimination works.

It started to rain after 1 1/2 hours so I left.

I see what you all meant about the high tones which are faint and also the flutey tone but it is a high flutey tone too. Not a lower one. Basically if I get a high tone that is repeatable I dig. If it looks like something on the digital screen but the high tone does not show back up I still dig but I need that initial high tone to make me look at it. I do look for repeatable signals but I expect some of the disappearing ones are good targets.

Joe.

That's great to hear. I usually run my Exp. @ 22 Semi-Auto, Fast & Deep on (for this park where targets are usually very close together) and Ferrous (I use the IM-16 almost all the time), I've gotten clad dimes at 6-7" and I dug a trash target (brass I think) @ a depth of about the length of my Lesche digging tool; the Explorer is very sensitive and easy to pinpoint, aren't we glad we got it instead of the DFX eh Cachenut?

L.O.L. Just wait till Dave Z. reads this from whites! got to admit you are so right about the explorer2. Had a DFX, UPGRADED TO EXPLORER smart move. Harry

I had a XLT for years and increasing the gain and sensitivity never made that machine behave like this. I started finding deeper coins almost immediately. The same for using deep and increasing the sensitivity. It has an obvious effect on the operation of the XLT. Changing all that stuff on the XLT seemed to make little difference to me except it eventually became unstable. Except increasing the sensitivity on the DC circuit did make it go deeper.

Yes I am glad I got a Explorer II instead of the DFX. I hear the DFX is a much better machine but it would have to do a lot better to beat the Explorer.

Joe.

Ditto, been there and done that with the DFX. No comparison in heavily mineralized ground such as mine. On the DFX it read -90/-95.

AK in KY