Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth Meter Accuracy

cliff490

The manual of the SE says something like information is updated in pinpoint mode. My SE seems to show a more accurate depth in search mode vs pinpoint. Also in pinpoint on a silver dime the cursor will sometimes shoot across the top of screen towards the nails area.
Is it normal for my SE to behave like this?
I am not displeased with the SE I bought it in January 08 and have put a lot of time on it and made quite a few good finds with it.
Just bored right now wishing I could be out hunting.

Thanks in Advance
Cliff

Cliff that depends on the ground and if iron is closely present to the dime, then yes the iron can fool the detector screen.. That's why many including me go by sound.

I rarely look at the depth meter -- If I get a good tone I dig --- Easy enough.:detecting:
But on my Expl II it is pretty accurate anyway.:detecting:

You are correct in that the depth and crosshairs are updated according to the manual. Sometimes i go to digital when pinpointing... maybe its a confort thing, but it give a pretty accurate idea as to what's under the coil. If you are hunting in conductive sounds, for me, those large irons are a bit pesty.... so in a LOT of iron i may switch to FER.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the cursor jumping around on the screen, especially when in pinpoint. Also, in pinpoint, the dept is generally off as well. I gauge the depth in the detect mode and then shift to pinpoint in order to make sure that I know where to dig without hitting my target....lol

I have to agree with Eu_citzen on the comment about using tones. I was using the screen a lot at first, then, some good advice from my detecting buddy put me onto listening more and watching less. That has helped a lot, but, I had to do a lot of "testing" on my own with known targets to get a good feel, I still dig strong deep tones as well, but, the very high pitched screams are a no brainer! :bouncy: