Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DEPTH OR RATHER LACK OF IT.

CoinRobber

I wish some new detector technology would give us genuine extra depth. I need to get 12+ inches on a tiny silver coin. I don't see any real increases in depth ever coming for a long long time.
Not until a NEW detector technology comes. I think the really deep coins will one day be found with new technology.

I had a site that I hunted for a couple years in the early 80's that gave up 65 silvers before it stopped producing . Most of the silvers were Barber Dimes along with early date Mercs that were in the 5-7 inch range. I was using a VLF/TR detector and thought that I had reached the maximum depth all the coins were at and that I had hunted it out. About 25 years later in 2008, I told a fellow detector buddy about the place and the first day he hunted it with a multi-frequency detector,he found 8 seated dimes and 3 early date Barbers in the 8-10 inch range. My theory of it being hunted out was proven wrong by "new technology". My new theory is that, in the right areas ,there are coins down to 18''. :)

Last edited:
Good point jim tn. Those 5"and 6" coils have shown that to be true.

100% agreed Robber. Especially areas with fill or soil which allows the coins to get down there, however it happens...they are undoubtedly there.

There is a few tricks for getting down there just pass the average depth that can work but you have to slow down and really listen to those faint weak tones.

You need to install a larger coil. They'll extend the range of your device a little bit.
The "extra" depth attained on a single coin or ring by going up to say the 12 + inch coils is actually extremely small. Maybe we are talking a cm of extra depth in some cases.
The bigger coils WILL for sure find more but it's the extra coverage that is scoring the extra goodies. Bigger coils only go genuinely deeper on much bigger masses. This is fact.
The current vlf technology is one day going to be history , now when will that day come , not been a Nostradamus of this age it is hard to guess. But i would bet probably around half a century
from now or so. Maybe even longer. High power Discriminating Pulse Induction machines might be 1 solution. Getting some New Brains Designing "Multi Pulse" Detectors in another 50 years or so will get us those old, very old 18 inch deep coins; I think vlf has a limited life left before it stops producing much of whats left.

Well, if you want a low price deep detector that does great stick with the vaquero(grey) one with the big coil.
big treasure.jpg
color detecting.jpg
detector hunter.jpg

The problem with "extra" depth is you need "extra" discrimination to go with it, My Vista-X could not tell the deference between iron and a coin of any size from 8" down. My Simplex cranked up in park 1, well if it's making a sound, it's lying, good Luck

Attachments

• liberty brite.jpg
    liberty brite.jpg
    780.6 KB · Views: 141
I wish some new detector technology would give us genuine extra depth. I need to get 12+ inches on a tiny silver coin. I don't see any real increases in depth ever coming for a long long time.
Not until a NEW detector technology comes. I think the really deep coins will one day be found with new technology. 99.9 tenths percent of the time you wouldn't need that kind of depth.

Robber there are machines that will hit dime at 12" but they're not going to do it wheres a lot of trash. Dan Dankowski says that most silver coins in places like parks are either too deep or masked. To find the masked coins you have to have a small coil and dig a lot more. A large concentric coil will actually go much deeper but the reason DD are more popular today is a its much easier to miss a target the deeper it is. A pulse machine with a good disc would be innovative but would also eliminate the hobby. I have a buddy who found a silver dollar cache with a CTX. One was at 18" But thats not small and was in a field.