Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth readout

Hardrock65

I know some folks were concerned the the core read CM, does the racer read inches? Not a big deal for me since most readings are way off, just curious.
HH

The problem with the Racer and the Nokta is that the depth is calibrated to a coin that is larger than our US quarter. Doing so really throws depth off on most of our coins.

Having said that there are few detectors that give accurate depth readings. The CTX is the best I have used at accurate depth readings.

Well, the Racer is calibrated for a coin that is not MUCH larger than our US quarter.

The manual says the Racer is calibrated to a coin that in one inch in diameter.

The U.S. quarter is just barely under one inch in diameter -- it's 0.955 inches in diameter,
or roughly 15/16 of an inch. That's pretty darn close to the Racer calibration size..

I find that the depth of U.S. coins turns out to be close to what the Racer indicates -- usually. That's especially
true when using the small five-inch coil.

But when you're digging a dime or a penny, that's a much smaller coin than a quarter. So if the Racer says it's
two inches deep, it's more likely to be about one inch. (Or anywhere from 0.5 to 1.5 inches, since
the Racer doesn't show fractions.) And it's just an estimate. Don't expect perfection in all conditions.

You are correct on the size. My point was that the smaller dime , nickel and penny sized coins that make up the majority of coins found will not show as accurate at depth because of the larger size coin calibration.
I think most US machines are calibrated to smaller coin sizes than the Racers larger than quarter size target.

I have not used the Racer but have used the Fors Core which is calibrated the same and its depth reading was never even close and that was using all three coils. Showed dimes twice as deep as they actually were.

They really should calibrate their machines for the US using something smaller.

And yes it is only an estimate but it needs to be closer than it is.

Did not mean to upset you or anyone else I was just stating what my and others experience have been.

quote=TallTom]
Well, the Racer is calibrated for a coin that is not MUCH larger than our US quarter.

The manual says the Racer is calibrated to a coin that in one inch in diameter.

The U.S. quarter is just barely under one inch in diameter -- it's 0.955 inches in diameter,
or roughly 15/16 of an inch. That's pretty darn close to the Racer calibration size..

I find that the depth of U.S. coins turns out to be close to what the Racer indicates -- usually. That's especially
true when using the small five-inch coil.

But when you're digging a dime or a penny, that's a much smaller coin than a quarter. So if the Racer says it's
two inches deep, it's more likely to be about one inch. (Or anywhere from 0.5 to 1.5 inches, since
the Racer doesn't show fractions.) And it's just an estimate. Don't expect perfection in all conditions.[/quote]