Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth? Waterproof?

Derrelld

This detector has really peaked my interest :) I had a couple questions tho.. What depth are alot of you guys getting with your Deus. I live in Ohio and it seems like most of the coins I go after in my parks are down there.. Its nothing to chase wheat pennies and mercs at 10 inches with my Explorer and E-trac. If I pick up one of these neat little detectors.. I think I would mostly be visiting farm fields and house sites with it.. Also, I know the coil is waterproof.. But how deep can you take the deus?? when you detach the control box can you go a 1', 2', waist high???
If someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!!
Thanks Everyone!!
Derrell

Hi Derrell, I have extensive use on your machines (SE Pro, E-Trac) and I have to say the Deus is excellent. It is a lightweight machine, that is very easy to use and in my ground (in Minnesota) it hits clearly on every target that the E-Trac can hit on. I would not start selling off your machines as they are excellent choices as well. If I were you, I would add the Deus to your quiver. I keep all my land needs covered with my Deus and my E-Trac and I would not sell either of them. The Deus, however seems to be a better all-around detector as it could be used for a wider range of applications and it does very well on small gold which makes it a contender for gold prospecting.

As for your question about water depth, the coil is waterproof, the headphones and control box are not. Technically you could use the coil under water but XP states that the coil can only transmit through very shallow water (about 1-2 inches). Some people in the UK have been zip-tying a type of antenna cable along the s-rod which transmits the signal to the surface. I heard XP might be working on a clip-on antenna but don't hold me to that as it is just something someone told me. Hope that answers your question.

If you have the funds to get a Deus, I think this detector is completely worth it. I REALLY like mine and use it almost exclusively these days. It's lack of weight, portability, wireless capabilities, and amazing depth make this detector a complete winner to me. I can swing the Deus all day with absolutely no fatigue or sore back. This detector makes detecting just that much more fun. If you can, I say go for it and hopefully we will be seeing your great finds on here soon.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

HH -Marc

Marc
I appreciate you taking the time to reply with great detail!!!
Thank you!!! So far I have heard nothing but great things about the Deus. Who knows.. I might end up with one sometime in the near future ;)
Derrell

MHirschmann said:
Hi Derrell, I have extensive use on your machines (SE Pro, E-Trac) and I have to say the Deus is excellent. It is a lightweight machine, that is very easy to use and in my ground (in Minnesota) it hits clearly on every target that the E-Trac can hit on. I would not start selling off your machines as they are excellent choices as well. If I were you, I would add the Deus to your quiver. I keep all my land needs covered with my Deus and my E-Trac and I would not sell either of them. The Deus, however seems to be a better all-around detector as it could be used for a wider range of applications and it does very well on small gold which makes it a contender for gold prospecting.

As for your question about water depth, the coil is waterproof, the headphones and control box are not. Technically you could use the coil under water but XP states that the coil can only transmit through very shallow water (about 1-2 inches). Some people in the UK have been zip-tying a type of antenna cable along the s-rod which transmits the signal to the surface. I heard XP might be working on a clip-on antenna but don't hold me to that as it is just something someone told me. Hope that answers your question.

If you have the funds to get a Deus, I think this detector is completely worth it. I REALLY like mine and use it almost exclusively these days. It's lack of weight, portability, wireless capabilities, and amazing depth make this detector a complete winner to me. I can swing the Deus all day with absolutely no fatigue or sore back. This detector makes detecting just that much more fun. If you can, I say go for it and hopefully we will be seeing your great finds on here soon.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

HH -Marc

Marc - well said. XP sells an optional accessory (antenna) for the coil for use in shallow water. It's mentioned on page 46 of the manual.

I'm also considering adding the Deus to my stable of detectors. I currently use the E-Trac almost exclusively. I'm doing my homework on the Deus, though. I like the lightweight aspect and the portability of it. That being said I'm somewhat skeptical about the depth, as I've heard/seen varying results on videos. However, I really like the recovery speed of it in iron and can see where it would be great at old farms and such. Decisions...decisions...
How do you guys like the headphones? I currently use the SunRay Pro gold and love them...but I look at these and they look, kind of cool....but also kind of cheap. Give me some feedback! Thanks

The headphones are fantastic. I have read about breakage but I assure you that they are built just fine so long as you treat them well. I also have the pro golds and like them as well but you wouldn't want to sit on your pro golds either, would you? The Deus headphones are not comparable to others either. They are small, lightweight and wireless. As long as you put them in the case after use, they should last you a long time. If you do damage a set, you can buy a complete new set for $19 and just slide the control unit onto the new set. Pretty sweet. I have no problems with build quality whatsoever with the Deus, nor any of its parts.

As for depth, I am finding that the Deus has been able to "see" every one of my deep targets that I found with my E-Trac. I have yet to find a single target with the E-Trac that the Deus won't register on loud and clear. The Deus really is a fantastic machine and I would add it to your arsenal as the ET and V3i are both awesome machines. The Deus is a pleasure to use and I am certain you would enjoy it very much.

Not every machine is for everyone, but the Deus seems as close as you can get right now.

Hope this helps and let us know if you pull the trigger on your Deus.

Happy Hunting -Marc

Thanks Marc! A couple more questions for you or anyone else who cares to answer. :confused:
Is there much EMI intereference with the Deus? I rarely have any with the ET but the V3i is a whole nother ball game.
What kind of swing speed works best for the Deus? Do you find yourself swinging it quickly because of the light weight?
Have you used it on a beach yet? I'm thinking that this unit would be perfect for my vacationing this summer.
Last but not least.....lol...how long do you think it takes to become comfortable with it? ET took me about a week until I had any idea of what it was trying to tell me in trashy areas.

the headphones are rubbish ,they wont tolerate any reasonable wear and tare .mine have snapped at the flimsy plastic lugs and theyre not covered by the warranty even though they should be .for such an expensive machine you expect perfection in build quality .
normal headphones can stand some reasonable heavy treatment ,but the dues backphones are flimsy beyond belief.
not even a kids toy would be so flimsy and fragile.
also when you fold them to put them in the storage box a very thin wire that runs in a groove across the headband also gets folded and will eventually break even if you are carefull .

Stock 9" is coil is ALL about separation (AMAZING). It will hit coins really well at 8-9 inches. Past that its just a good audio, not visual id. Add the 13 X 11" DD for more depth. So far its impressive.

No wireless signal wont go thru 1 to 2 feet of water. You will need to hard wire it to control box and then it will.

Actually I have sat on my headphones I use on my xterra 50 and Fisher 75se, by accident of course, actually, I kneeled on them. No problem at all. My headphones are pretty rugged and put up with a lot from me including getting ripped off my head by branches in the woods when my eyes were glued to the display instead of where I was going. That's why I don't like hunting with one tone or all metals, need to keep looking at the display. I always wear a hat and in cold weather I wear warmer head gear. Not sure how the backphone would work with my warm head gear.

Depth what is it with this depth thing , there is not one manufacturer who will or can tell you how deep there machines will detect metal objects in the ground, they may indicate or surmise , there are just so many variables I would think an average mid range priced machine would on a wet day detect a trash can lid at two feet, ,ten inches for a small coin is good, most of my finds are mostly down about six inches , but I do pick up coins deeper depends on ground conditions , how often do you get a good signal then dig a good size sod out, it lands brown side up then you run your machine over the hole and get no signal , you then pass the detector over the brown side of the sod /turf still no signal , you then turn the sod green side up pass the detector over it ,, bingo there's the signal it was only a couple inches in to the turf ,, strange ain't it .
The deus is no different, but I have to say its a blinding machine , it does have great advantages just its sheer portability lightness and its wireless, is a big big plus ,you choose your operating frequency , which will give you in theory greater depth at the low frequency , and up at 17 1/2 will pick up all those small coins very fine gold chains , you can alter the reactance you can even up the transmit power , which will work well on un contaminated non minaralised ground which is quite rare but the facility is there , as for water proof yes it is ,and it has a dry beach setting and a wet beach setting which really work ,but because the coil sends the signal to either the control box or the head phones , once the coil is under two inches of water your stumped,,I don't know how they are going to get over that one.
I would say that for general hobby type detecting on land or on the beach ( not under water) the Deus is were a lot of metal detector manufacturers would like to be , the old black box detectors are out the window and the likes of Minelab Whites Garretts you name them will be playing catch up for a long time, tonight I got a call via another forum that a lady in my area had lost a Diamond white gold ring in her front yard ,, turns out she had had a tiff with her old man and lobbed is it out the front door ,so as the gentleman I am, I popped over with in twenty minutes I found it , her smile was worth a million pounds .
I have gone through the full Monty of metal detectors even some exotic ones like the Nexus Explorers Soveriegn 705 it goes on ,the Deus is a lot of money ,well it is for me , I ain't gonna bull Sh## you and say it reaches great depths , but I am finding things that the Explorer and the Sov Gt would never find in a month of Sundays small gold chains very small gold earrings , I just wish the Deus had been on the market years ago ,, its the way go get one ..

23950522 said:
I just wish the Deus had been on the market years ago ,, its the way go get one ..

If I ever spent 1800 or 2000 dollars for a metal detector then it would ruin the hobby for me. I can only justify so much outlay per hobby. For metal detectors, my max is around 700 dollars new or used. If and when the Deus or a Deus like machine is appropriately priced for people like me then I would consider getting one. Until then, it just ain't worth it to me.