Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth....What to expect?

rick78

Hi all, after a pretty much wasted 2021 I am trying to relearn the Simplex before the season ends. Scenario: Backyard, NW Indiana, 2.77 with SP24. I am getting no decent signals. House was built 1933. Fair enough. Maybe previous occupants just didn't lose much. I have already found a few decent things (with both the Simplex and the previous machine (BH Tracker IV). Tons of junk. Nails, roofing tacks, misc trash. So, I bury a silver quarter at 9". Park 2, sensitivity 1 down from max. Nothing. Try Park 1 and Field. Not a peep. Went to basement which has concrete floor. Lay down another silver quarter. Hits strong at about 5-6" and that's it. Dark out now but tomorrow with try stock coil outside. Anyway, is 5-6" normal for a 1941 quarter? If so, fine. Just wondering what others have found. I am ground balancing around 65. Thanks in advance!

I hate it but I buried 1 penny, 1 nickle, a dime & a quarter 2 feet apart & at 4" deep. Simplex some days it hears the penney - none other [some days after a rain hear penney again - no others. 2 Months & Nope, so I moved over 2 feet & add some more coins, same thing again. These were coins in my pocket so are clad, etc (I started the Plot last spring)
???

Maybe it's my soil? I will try with the stock coil. I see videos of people hitting dime @ 9" but I don't know their soil. I'll also dig the quarter out and bury it shallower.

I bought my Simplex about 3 weeks ago and been out about 5-6 times with the detector. I did hit measured and dug a penny at about 7 inches with the SP24 coil. I think we have to remember if the coin has been in the ground for a number of years it will give a "halo" or halo effect in the dirt thus providing greater depth when we detect it. I feel confident that we can detect a quarter 8-10 inches depending if the quarter is on edge or flat in hole.

Soil mineralization has a lot to do with how deep a detector will detect a coin.
You can't use a freshly buried coin to be a real indicator as how deep it will detect. You disturbed the ground.
Also, remember there's a lot of BS on the forums regarding depth people are finding coins.
The halo effect has been debunked when it comes to silver coins........halo effect is about rusting decaying iron objects.

Dave Johnson:
DS: The “halo effect”… fact or fiction?

Dave: "Mostly fiction. A lot of what people attribute to “halo” actually has to do with what happens to the natural magnetic and conductive structure of the soil matrix when you disturb it.

The rust that remains from a rusting iron object is definitely a “halo” which can have a definite effect on detectability and on target ID.

Corrosion from nonferrous metals is essentially neutral to metal detectors and is present in too small an amount to affect detection. It is plausible that the electrochemical corrosion process of nonferrous metals influences the geochemistry of the iron minerals in the immediate vicinity of the target; however I doubt that such an effect would be sufficiently prominent as to influence detectability.

Nonetheless, there are a lot of beeperists whose actual field experience leads them to believe that the halo effect is real, independently of the question of whether the conventional explanation (“conductive corrosion products”) is right or wrong. I’ve been around the block enough times to have encountered things which seemed impossible and yet there they were. One of these days I may have to eat my words about “halo effect”."

Last edited:
Sven.....Very interesting update on the halo effect....I did not know that a silver coin may not have a halo effect....Pennies obviously are more corroded....I do find that locating a coin whether in the hole or in the plug troubles me sometimes as I get a signal in both areas.... sometimes almost equally....then it turns out many times the coin is in the plug....Thank you again

Thanks all. I guess I will just need to find me a spot with legitimate buried targets! I did try to locate the quarter with the stock coil and was getting a scratchy signal but it was cold as the dickens and I gave up.

I've dug 7-8" deep coins with the stock coil. Not so with the smaller SP24 coil. In all fairness, though, the unit and coils don't see a lot of use. Oh, and my g b is much the same as yours, rick78. HH Jim Tn

Used the smaller sp 24 coil the last two hunts, Sun and this morning, and it is a killer on a trashy site. It loves quarters, recovered 7 clad from and area that has had a few different coils/detectors over it that I know of. As far as depth, 6" was the deepest and the target was a quarter, along with a small rusty bolt about 7" deep almost directly under the quarter. I was in park 1 with sen 1 bar down from max and a g b of 66. Was coil scuffing over thick 2- 3" tall grass. HH jim tn