Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth ?

A

Anonymous

I'm relativly new to the Explorer (50 hrs +) A bit frustrated to the point that I reassembled my Sov today! Didn't use it though!!
I air tested the Explorer, Sov and Nautilus DMC2b
Silver Qtr: E and S = 10.5" N = 11"
Silver Dime E = 10" S = 9" N = 10"
Minnie Ball E = 10.5" S = 10" N = 11"
I ran all machines at max sensitivity to the point of stability. E @ 24 S @ 11:00 N @ 33 power and 9 sens.
I understand that the ground matrix and halos effects the target signal, but <b>am I only giving up an inch if I stick the the Sov?</b>
The Nautilus is a deep machine but really a relic machine (I'm spoiled with the meters and variable sounds)
I have had the machine checked out by Minelab but I still hear people saying they get 15" in an air test with the E.
I have more questions but will post them separate.
Thanks and HH
Ron (CA)

Ron. When we were in Hartford I received a coin signal and before I dug it I let everyone check it with their machines. The signal was very clear with the Explorer and I am sure I would have still picked it up if it was 4" deeper. There was a guy with a Sov and he couldn't pick it up even in all metal. It turned out to be a Barber dime at about 10". I feel the best way to learn the Explorer is to use the coin screen ( 3/4" X 3/4" ) white square in the top right corner. You will pick up all silver and copper coins. The reason for this is so you can consintrate on learning how to tell the depth of a signal and not have to worry about weather it is a coin or not. The main beniffit of this machine is its depth so that is what you should learn first. Once you know how to tell a wheatie at 12" to 15" you will feel very confident with the machine and then when you switch to a more open screen you won't be so confused.

besides the air test, remember the explorer seems to pick stuff out in trash at greater depths, in other words a coin at 6 inches might be just barely audible down in some nails, the explorer sees it the others do not..so depth is relative....I also air test with the target laying on the ground outside, not by holding it in my hand..try that test and see how it does if you werent already....the sov and explorer both like a background to compare the returned signals to.

Raw depth capability, especially air tests, is only a small portion of the overall advantages of one detector over another. Raw depth doesn't mean much when you factor in variables such as ground mineralization, presence of trash, angle of target in ground, and whatever has a negative effect on detection depth. Some machines can cope with these situations poorly and some much better.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Mike.