Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detech 10 x 5 SEF WSS Search Coil

Cos

I enjoy using my Safari detector, but at 75 years of age, I cannot swing the 11" standard coil anymore and have replaced it with the SEF 8 x 6" coil. I like that coil very much especially for trashy parks. However, the few silver dimes I continue to find are mostly Mercs at the very edge of its detection depth. I'm looking for a new coil with a little more depth, but no additional weight. I recently noted that Detech has just put on the market a 10 x 5" SEF WSS coil for Minelab detectors. Has anyone tried this new coil yet? I believe it is even lighter than the SEF 8 x 6 coil. Does it have a bit more depth than the 8 x 6"? If so, I definitely would want to purchase one for my Safari. The ads so far also do not indicate whether or not this new coil is waterproof--Is it? Thank you for any advice you can give me regarding this new coil. I want to continue with the hobby I truly love for a few more years yet.

Have you thought about using a harness to hang your detector from? I use one on my CTX with a 17" coil and I can swing the coil with one finger and a thumb (tho I do have to hold it level as it wants to twist slightly). Without the harness, I can go 2 hours max but with it, I have gone all day and never noticed it. I use a homemade one, but the Minelab harness gets rave reviews.
(I like my 6x8SEF too!)

KinTN--Thank you for the suggestion of using a harness to reduce the weight of my Safari and coil. However, I prefer not to be tethered to my detector. Getting up and down sometimes is a struggle for me and having a detector attached would further complicate the problem. Also, I like to have my detector not too close to me as it can sometimes interfere with my excavation procedure or with my electronic pin pointer. I would like to report that in my discussion with a Kellyco representative, it was stated that the width of a DD coil is important to depth. If the width of a coil is narrow, it will lessen the depth that coil can detect. Thus, the Detech 10 x 5" inch coil will most likely not detect a target any deeper than my SEF 8 x 6" coil. His suggestion to get increased depth would be to go to the SEF Ultimate 13" coil. Unfortunately, that coil is just as heavy as the standard 11" coil that comes with the Minelab Safari that I would prefer not to use. Does anyone else have a suggestion for a Safari coil that will detect deeper than the SEF 8 x 6" coil that would be lighter or smaller than the standard 11" coil?

I think that rep is full of crap on his depths tho I don't have the expertise to expound on the subject. Perhaps one of the more knowledgable posters can shed some light on the subject. Remember, take everything with a grain of salt when someone is about to sell you something. (I don't know who you talked to, but read some of those KC bios sometime- I think some of them have less hunting experience than my puppy).

Also, a harness doesn't mean you are tethered to your machine. My CTX is attached to a bunji cord that I lift off the harness and then set the machine aside as I crouch down to dig. With the wireless module on the CTX, I am in no way tethered to my machine. I really think you would benefit from a harness, regardless of the coil you end up running. You owe it to yourself to at least see how a good harness works and if it would work for you.

edited 2x because the gd spellcheck spells worse than I do.