Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detech 8x6" SEF Butterfly Search Coil used on V3i

LEE_TERRILL

Has any of you that have a V3i used a Detech 8x6" SEF Butterfly Search Coil on your detector ? I have heard conflicting stories I was told it has trouble in the high freq range and others say it actually works great maybe better than actual v rated coils, what kind of trouble and is there a way around it?

Well I guess I'm going to find out, I just picked one up for a pretty good price. I'll check it against the other 3 coils I have .

I like the 8x6 so much, I own 2 of them. Both of mine have always passed testing just like V-rated coils. Low conductors(nickels) will VDI a little higher than with OEM coils.

5900_XL-1 said:
I like the 8x6 so much, I own 2 of them. Both of mine have always passed testing just like V-rated coils. Low conductors(nickels) will VDI a little higher than with OEM coils.

That's good to hear thanks.

Well very interesting the Detech 8x6" SEF Butterfly Search Coil arrived today and it's seams to pass the V series test with flying colors. it will overload when my gold ring is ~ 1.5" from the coil but so does my 9" v-rated spider coil. my spider coil seems to have slightly better depth, however the Detech has even depth distribution front to back the spider coil had about the same depth front to back however slightly more in the center maybe another inch. Which is to be expected. the weight less than 9 oz. At this point I will have to do some field evaluation to really give it a score.

After further testing I discovered even though it passes the V-rated test it has problems up in the 22khz area a pure silver coin reads the same on all frequencies on a Whites coil however the Detech 8x6" SEF is way off on the higher frequency bummer it's a nice coil. Oh well.

5900_XL-1 said:

Try the same test I just did with a pure silver coin the V3i shows 3 green bars straight up on the right side of the display for all 3 frequency's with a whites V-rated coil. with the Detech coil the top frequency came up red all the way on the left hand side the other 2 frequency's were ok.

There is definitely a difference in the 22khz area.

IMO, you are over analyzing. I really don't care what 22.5 is doing on a silver coin as long as it groups with the other freqs on the polar chart. My advice it to use the 8x6 in 3-f where you've hunted before and have fun. I think you'll dig new stuff you missed with other coils.

That's just it when set to 22khz alone it registered everything in the iron area it wasn't functioning at all. I'm just going to sell it and get a 10x12 or 13" detech. I don't want a coil that doesn't function correctly on all 3 frequency's. I do quite a bit of nugget hunting and I want the high freq to be full operational. no problem enjoy your's.

I was getting better depth with my 9" spider coil by at least 2" in the center and about the same depth front to back as the Detech. So i'm pretty sure the spider coil is comparable.

And that is why I don't recommend coils. Use what works for you.

Yea, if that's your results, dump that coil. Both of my 8x6 coils just now tested solid in 22.5kHz on a silver Walker. Honestly? I've only ran 22.5 single frequency on purpose maybe once or twice in the field over the years. I never had a reason for that single freq since I am a coin hunter.

If you read in iron range on any silver coin, you have a dud coil. It happens I guess. I got lucky both times though. Was your coil from KellyCo? It was new anyway, though?

I am surprised it even passed the Whites overload in open air at 15 gain

LEE_TERRILL said:
That's just it when set to 22khz alone it registered everything in the iron area it wasn't functioning at all. I'm just going to sell it and get a 10x12 or 13" detech. I don't want a coil that doesn't function correctly on all 3 frequency's. I do quite a bit of nugget hunting and I want the high freq to be full operational. no problem enjoy your's.

I was getting better depth with my 9" spider coil by at least 2" in the center and about the same depth front to back as the Detech. So i'm pretty sure the spider coil is comparable.

"That's just it when set to 22khz alone it registered everything in the iron area it wasn't functioning at all".

Just to be perfectly clear, you read iron when you pass a nickel, dime, penny, or quarter when in 22.5 frequency. Everything.

5900_XL-1 said:
LEE_TERRILL said:

"That's just it when set to 22khz alone it registered everything in the iron area it wasn't functioning at all".

Just to be perfectly clear, you read iron when you pass a nickel, dime, penny, or quarter when in 22.5 frequency. Everything.
Yes pretty much everything. It worked great in the other two frequency's. they are really nice coils the mounting ears are really thick I have repaired several Minelab coils with broken or cracked coil ears. Detech made that part right, oh well It's not a problem I put it back up on ebay and it sold in 2 hours, I got all but about $3.00 back, I'm just going to save up and get the Detech 10 X 12 or 13" ultimate I need a larger coil anyways, I really like the 9" whites spider coil for my mid size coil.

I have had good luck with my SEF 10X12

daddyflea said:
I have had good luck with my SEF 10X12

I've had good luck with my 10x12 too, and in my case...the two 8x6 coils I own as well. I dug a 43 Merc in a park using the 10x12 the other day, a park I'd call hunted out for all practical purposes.

All of my SEF coils work fine on my V3i, each and all three frequencies.