Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detecting a broad :detecting:

iRondo

My wife & I are planning a sailing trip to Mexico and Central America (possibly the South Pacific as well) and I'm wondering about using the detector on beaches and/or diving in foreign lands/waters. I'm thinking there shouldn't be a problem but just wondering if anyone has any info/experience/input?

Thanks,

Ron

Check the regulations for each country before you go. Took my detector to Mexico last year with no problem. Going to Punta Cana in three weeks, no regulation prohibiting them on public beaches.

Oldguy said:
... Check the regulations for each country before you go. ....

Who do you recommend to check with ? Other hobbyists for where they've had "no problems"? Or to check with the powers-that-be in those countries themselves ?

There was a humorous story in the very early 1980s, back when Fisher Co. had a periodical newsletter mailer thing. And each edition had a letter-to-the-editor type column. Where you could ask Fisher questions about metal detecting topics.

In one of those editions, someone had written in saying they were about to vacation to Mexico, so they wanted to know what the laws were there, regarding detecting (like at their tourist beach destination). Fisher's answer was to "leave the detector at home, it's illegal, etc...".

In the following editions, other readers had written in to take exception to this answer. Saying things like "Since when?" and "where did you get that information?" and "We go there all the time with no problem ", etc.... So Fisher, in defense/explanation of their earlier answer, gave the following reply: When they had fielded the earlier inquiry, they had merely forwarded it on to border bureaucrat lawyer travel consulate or some such persons. And they were merely reporting the answer they got back. I mean, heck WHO BETTER TO ASK THAN MEXICO THEMSELVES afterall, *right* ?

No doubt whomever got this question, had answered it in terms of shipwreck salvor laws, raiding the pyramids, exporting gold bars back across the border, etc.... Yet .... metal detectors are a common site on Mexican tourist beaches. And there are metal detector dealers in major cities down there (including Fisher dealers, doh!).

Hence it's not always a good idea to ask regulatory agencies, police, rangers, lawyers, etc... Sometimes the real skinny (ie.: who actually cares, what is really happening), is to ask other hobbyists. Or simply look it up for yourself. If you see nothing there that says "no metal detectors allowed", the presto, it's not prohibited.

You don't need to detect a Broad! Just go to a bar, and buy one a couple of drinks, then you will have one! Ha! Ha! Grubstake

Grubstake said:
You don't need to detect a Broad! Just go to a bar, and buy one a couple of drinks, then you will have one! Ha! Ha! Grubstake

At first I thought he was using politically incorrect terminology, compounded by the fact he was travelling with his wife. With his wife along, I thought then that she had given her approval so I asked my wife if I could detect a broad and she slapped me silly.:punch::stars: Now I am black and blue. Can't win.:surrender:

Grubstake and Gord, you are confusing recovery of target with detecting. Today it can be next to impossible to always detect a broad with a traditional VLF unit. Play it safe and get a PI.
This may be expensive initially, but I think you'll find its worth it.
:detecting::surprised: