Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:detecting:((((Attention Garrett Team)))):detecting:

jimmyjiver

[size=large]Hi All,:super: This kinda crazy :crazy: post mainly goes out to Charles, Eleanor and Vaughan Garrett or whoever will listen..:yikes:.. I would like an air test comparison between a 6.5" X 9" concentric coil vs the stock 8.5" X 11" stock DD coil..:please:.. I have been doing fairly well so far with the DD coil but I can't stop thinking that perhaps I could do a little better with the concentric coil..:shrug:.. I am currently going out every day (weather permitting) but not posting most of my finds because I'm a tad camera illiterate..:rage:.. I am however slowing learning my camera now,so hopefully daily post will become the norm in the near future ..:beers: If I don't get some air test first to help me make my decision then I will just buy the 6.5" X 9" concentric coil and try it out..:drool:.. As of right now I just lost my job and I am a little financially depressed..:cry:.. but not totally broke..:nopity:.. In the meantime if anyone hears of a super deal on a 6.5" X 9" concentric coil please let me know..:thumbup:.. Thanks..:thumbup:..JJ[/size]

JJ sorry to hear about job. As far as air tests go they really aren't very dependable. I personally don't think air tests are worth anything. One person gets 10" and another gets 8" and another gets 15". Air is air. Does it prove anything?? We don't detect in the air. We detect in the ground. Every site that I have been at the ground balance has been different. Some sites I get 76 reading other places in the same site I get 91 reading. The reading are all over the map just like the sites, all over the map. If your getting 7" in the ground but got 15" in the air what good is it??? Hope you see where I am coming from here???
The concentric has a cone shaped pattern. The deeper it goes down the smaller the circle of detecting gets. The DD coil has the same detecting pattern the full length of the coil to the deep depths of the coil. It seems that the DD coil works much better for separating targets because it has a narrow band pattern, a rectangle,and not the circle pattern of the concentric coil. It maybe easier to pin point the concentric coil because it is smaller and it maybe lighter because it is smaller?
JJ I would stick with the 11" coil and really work with it and learn to use it and it will show you what it can do. You will be surprised at what it will do. It takes time JJ. Go out, play and have fun detecting. Things will flow. Become one with your detector Grasshopper. Happy Trails JJ.......Z

I'm with Zeek on this one J J, stick with the D D Coil and keep your money in your pocket.

Good Luck with the A T Pro and your Camera skills.

Les.

For what it is worth, I like the DD coil. Wider coverage at depth and separates targets much better. Pinpointing is easier. I would not put all that much stock in air tests. If you have not used a DD coil before, it may take some time getting used to it but it is worth it in my opinion.

Jerry

JJ I've had the at pro going on a month now and have both the stock and the 6.5 x 9 and I like them both.
I started using the stock coil and had trouble with pinpointing plus being new to the pro and not understanding the tones so well I decided to put on the 6.5 x 9 and have used it on several trips mostly to the park.
Since I have started learning the tones I have put the stock coil back on and trying to learn it as all the other detectors I've used I had the concentric coil except for a small shooter coil so the pp wasn't no problem for me but it is a little diff with a large DD coil but I'm starting to get it down to.
Now here's my scoop on the 2 coils mentioned:
As for depth as of now I haven't found anything of any real depth with either coil I think my tops has been around the 8" and that's for both coils so all I can say about the depth is for me right now they are equal but like I said this is only from a few weeks of using the at pro and also note right now I'm not using full sens I run it about 3 bars below full because I want to learn the detector without any false chatter and then later I can turn it up and be able to tell the chatter from the actual beeps.
I like the stock coil one thing I feel it will seperate targets better but I must say the concentric has surprized me and I think it's more so the machine then it is the coil what I'm saying is the at pro's ability to pick up targets side by side and/or target on top of target and from what I've seen this is with both types of coils it's just amazing I think I could hunt it with any coil and enjoy it.
I'm gonna be using the stock coil for awhile now as I'm getting into more old home places and not proven but I just figure the larger coil should get a little better depth and with me just having that in my mind I will feel better not wondering if I am losing any depth.
I will keep the 6.5 x 9 and use mainly for coin hunting in modern parks when I just want to get out and have a little fun picking up clad coins and working over the totlots.

Jimmy of course I'm a dealer but I also hunt a lot with all my personal detectors and coils. I have all the ATPro coils and to be honest I have hunted the same ground with the stock coil and the 6.5x9 coil. I didn't find anything else with the other coil. It's not as deep seeking a coil, and doesn't separate trash as well.
I would rather tell you the truth than sell you one and you be unhappy.
Jerry

[size=large]Hi,:detecting: Thanks to everyone that has responded so far..:clapping:..And a special thanks to Jerry of Treasure Hunters Supply who I understand is going to be running a contest and giving away some unbelievable prizes..:super::cheers::super::cheers: I still have to at least try a concentric coil on my AT Pro....Right now this DD coil is not unmasking vertical plane targets like my older Garrett with the concentric coil....(please don't ask me to explain this)....I am working an older site and doing okay,,but I just can't help thinking I could unmask even more coins with the concentric coil..:shrug:......Thanks....JJ[/size]

I understand and good luck with the concentric coil and your very welcome for the contest. good luck

i don't have any used coils jimmy but i sure can give you a good deal on a new one if you like. just give me a call