Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:detecting: Civil War button pro's - What is this? :shrug:

khouse

Looks like a Pettibone Bros. MFG Texas Coat Button. It's solid brass and 7/8 inch in diameter. So mad that I nicked the back! At least you can't see it from the front. What about it's value? I want to write an info card for it. I can't seem to find the exact button?

I checked in my button book ( Alberts military buttons ), and see a couple of examples very similar to yours, except these are two piece buttons.
I don't see any examples of a cast or solid button like yours..
Hopefully someone can ID it for you...
Very nice find!!

That is a sweet button KSH. CCH

Thanks. Came up as a 12-47 on my etrac. Was hoping for large silver. I like the button better....

Super find. This is from Tice's button book:

Convex, cast one piece, local manufacturer. Confederates cast these in crude molds probably using a similar device of Scovill's TX234. The closest example in the book is TX260A1, pictured on page 471. As for the value, you can probably find these for sale at shows for around $500, but a dealer would probably pay you half of that. I would say it's a pretty rare find. The rarity would out-weigh the value in my book. Someone with a Texas collection missing this button would pay top dollar for it. Nice dig!