Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detecting gold ring in surf question

Stogger

Does anyone have a feel for if or not a gold ring will still be within detection depth after 2 weeks in surf?

Thanks, Mike

I’ve found them 51 years after they’ve been in the surf. Where it travelled in all those years is the question. I’d say the ring is pretty close to where it was lost 2 weeks ago but the depth of the sand now covering it is the unknown. You never know til you get in the water, though. The problem I’ve had when trying to recover something in the water is the person that lost the item has never been accurate on where he says he lost the object. They think they know where they lost it but normally where they think they lost it is the place they realize the ring is no longer on their finger. Good luck, and no pun intended but, I wouldn’t hold my breath. Good fortune to you.

Thanks for your input dobb! and you are certainly right about where the person thinks it is vs where it actually was dropped! I've seen that in dry sand. Thanks again!

Depends on whether the sand is "going out", or "going in". Sand in the inter-tidal wet zone is never stationary. It's always moving around with each tide, swells, etc...

Weight ..... size..... water movement....even tide can play a big part on what happens to that ring. Ive seen things change by the hour out there. Sometimes its as simple as asking...... what time was it..... how deep were you and hitting it at a low tide. Type of detector used...... and most of all coil control, you have to keep it on the bottom and thats not easy with some machines.

Well..no find :( . A lady lost her wedding rings at Nags Head, so I drove down and gave it a try. The surf was rough and I could see how this moves the sand in waves! Was able to hit 2 low tides, and was able to search some in the first drop off. But there, the loose sand/shells were deep. Recovery would have been interesting if I actually got a hit.

Like you can glean from above, it all depends on the beach, weather and sand movement. Many of the beaches in New England, a ring can sit within inches for where it was lost for over 50 years. I have heard of rings being found miles away from where they were lost on Florida's east coast beaches.