Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detecting harness or sling

Is anyone using a harness for detecting and what brand is preferred. Are these things helpful to ease your back muscles?
What is the conventional wisdom on the subject? Thanks!

I owned a "Swingy-Thingy" a few years back. Yes, they help, but I found that they kind of get in the way. There are some other ones available; contact some of the dealers and they can give you specifics.

I've tried them all, and the Minelab harness is the best, most comfortable, and most expensive. The DetectorPro Detecting Pal isn't too shabby, or you can pick up weed waker harnesses from Home Depot or Lowes which do the same thing as the Detecting Pal. I had a Swing Thing once, it was on par with the Detecting Pal.

DaveNV said:
I owned a "Swingy-Thingy" a few years back. Yes, they help, but I found that they kind of get in the way. There are some other ones available; contact some of the dealers and they can give you specifics.

That's one of the reasons why I think the Minelab harness is the best. It quick connects and disconnects when you want it on and off, compared to some of the others with the buckles.

Hey guys, Thanks for the info and tips on a detector harness. I will be looking into getting one soon. The old back muscles just aren't what they use to be.
--Jim

I spent a lot of time trying to get the Minelab harness adjusted and finally gave up. Too complicated for me.

Well they all transfer weight from arm to back and a bad back can put you in a wheel chair is something to think about...

Dan-Pa. said:
Well they all transfer weight from arm to back and a bad back can put you in a wheel chair is something to think about...

The Minlab doesn’t unless someone sets it up wrong. The weight transfers into the harness and everywhere the harness touches skin. More bad back issues people have to worry about come from not getting to and off the ground properly, as demonstrated by al ost every single YouTube video of people Detecting.

As i have a problem with my detecting wrist due to a accident years ago,i use a harness of some sort for a full days detecting.This is the main reason i started using the Deus years ago as they are a lightweight machine so i have adapted my detecting methods,one of course could say well detect with the left arm rather than the damaged right arm ?? well in theory that sound a easy thing,but in practice it makes no odds how hard i try the co-ordination just does not happen,so for long periods of time ie all day i have to use a harness.

Even when using the Deus for more than 2 hours then i had used the 'Swingy Thing' type of harness and that did work reasonably well,but when using say a heavy rig like say my Pulse machine with a large coil on then i use a full GPX harness that takes most of the weight,for greater length of time and swinging my big 20'' coil then i use the GPX harness and also the addition of a 'Hip Stick' this then not only take the weight of the heavy detector/coil combination but also transfers alot of the weight onto my hip hence the 'hipstick name,its basically spreading the weight of everything over multiple parts of the body.Dies it work ??? well i can during the summer time detect using the Pulse machine and 20'' coil for periods of upto 10-12 hours without any problems,so the answer is yes.

My brother bought one, got to looking it over and just made his own, I'll send him a link to this topic and I'm sure he'll chime in on it.
Until then here is some pictures of a home made one.

MarkC

About all I can add to my home made sling is the key ring attached to base of the detector grip.

Easy to hook and unhook from the detector, also if you attach a key ring to the base of the grip on each of your detectors you can change detectors no adjusting needed.

Good luck,

Ron in WV