Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:detecting:If You Are Going Water Hunting Or Hunt In The Rain, Please Read This :detecting:

John-Edmonton

Staff member
Ihttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-c5sEEfG2EQE/Ue8mlE2n9bI/AAAAAAAAAAg/q5ZohZbp254/w934-h392-no/Untitled.jpg

Although all metal detector manufacturers do their darnedest to water proof their water machines, time has a way of making minute changes on detectors, sometimes to the point where they will eventually take on water. Detectors get banked around, seals dry, rubber breaks down, UV rays create havoc on most materials and moving parts can eventually wear out. These are also compromised by dissolved salt in the water and sediment finding little spaces to hide and plug things up. The best example is the lower and upper rod seizing at the end of the summer, due to people not washing down the detector after a hunt.

Showering with a friend might save you $$$, but showering with your detector will keep you in the game......making $$$ :devil:

The Infinium does not appear (at least to me) to be as susceptible to flooding as some other water machines, but it probably doesn't hurt to gingerly remove the O-rings and clean out the sand that accumulates on, around, under, etc., it. At depth, a grain of sand can cause failure and leaking occurs. When removing the O-rings, clean the ring itself, the race where it sits, and where it contacts. I apply just a little silicon grease to the rings and seals, as I reassemble them. Get new O-rings occasionally too, since the sand can cut or dimple them causing them to leak. (Have not gone this in depth with the ILS yet, but have a Tesoro that despite being a hot little VLF in spite of its age, is a flood waiting to happen.)

If the warning on my dive watch means anything, and it's water proof to 200ft, it says NOT to wear it in the shower because the force of the shower stream can be in excess of the static pressure design limits... go figure. So be careful how and where you direct the stream when hosing off anything "water proof." (I live dangerously and wear my watch everywhere. Have also rinsed off my equipment in the shower when nothing else is available, but do try to avoid direct full streams.)

Presumably the design on the Infinium protects the electronics even if the battery compartment floods... is that correct? I have some friends that are underwater photographers; they tell me it is not IF their equipment is going to flood, it's just a matter of WHEN...

... and you will be amazed at the places sand gets into...

Just my $0.02 :)