Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detecting in the early 70s, I was in my county

champ

Library tonight while my son was looking for a book for school and said while I'm here I might as well look up treasure hunting. The newest book was a 1991 detector guide! nothing in the 80s, only early 70s. Well I breezed through some of the books and I have to tell you that the hunters 30-35 years ago found an amazing amount of coins with those dinosaur detectors, Of course older sites were more frequent. One gentleman stated that on a BAD DAY he would average 50-60 coins, and a GOOD DAY he would average around 250! And the stories went on! along with photos! you don't here stories like the ones I've read, not on any forum or manufactures web site stories! Its like were only getting 10% of what our pioneer hunters were getting, just my opinion! Well with our new circuitry we better hunt wisely! for that SEEMINGLY last 10%!!! Yes I know, no one gets it all, but they sure got ALOT! count your blessings on every single silver coin you get today!
Wil

late 60's to middle 70's. Tons of buried coins, large cents and loads of silver coins to boot, tokens, toy cars, rings, jewelry. I remember loved to hunt up in Canada were every other silver coin was a US silver. Those of us that detected back then remember all the virgin hunting sites, when the good stuff was found within the first 5-6" deep. Most detectors back then had no trouble picking the stuff up. I remember bulging pocketfuls of coins. Would have to return to my car to empty them. Then the detecting boom started, 20 -30 dealers of detectors within 100 miles radis and growing. Soon everyone was out there. The club I belonged to had over 100 hunters in it, multiply that by every metro city. The finds started shrinking....you'd hunt a site and a fellow would come up to you "...oh there were three guys here yesterday, all day...." By the 80's you'd have to research alot more for a site. But with the newer detectors on the market each year or so, you could go back and rehunt a previous hunted site for the deeper missed targets.....I remember very well when Minelab came out with detectors, nothing could match the depth they had, just too damn expensive for most of us.

I guess those were the days! But guess what, I found some virgin ground and I must cherish what I find, be glad when spring is here.
The beach is the only area that will replemish itself! The only real way to find some older coins will be some skilled research and hunting techniques!

Wil