Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detecting newbie looking for advice

RanchWrench

Hello all, new to the forum and new to detecting period... A friend of mine gave me a BH Prospector to play with while I save up for the machine I really want, the Garrett AT Gold. I live in Northern California on a 18,000 acre ranch that was established in 1863. It is the largest intact Mexican land grant remaining so I'm figuring I should do pretty good for a few old relics. I am trying to spend some time learning the machine and what it can do in my yard before I go play too much but any help on adjusting settings would be greatly appreciated. I hear best depth and most signals come from running in all metal mode but past that I'm kinda lost.

Welcome! It sure sounds like you have a great place to hunt! Take a little time, read some of the other forums, they will give you a good idea about the basics of metal detecting...really just sort of get a grasp of what your machine is saying...dont worry about depth too much right off the bat...run a comfortable setting, for that you may have to drop sensitivity down to half, and disc out iron a little...no worries...its just a matter of practice and learning what the machine is saying to you...just takes practice is all...post on the main Metal Detecting forum if you want...we were all new to this once too...lots of folks here will help.:thumbup:
Mud

Thanks for the reply Mud, I've been lurking and learning for a couple weeks now, and really appreciate all the knowledge everyone has gathered in one place. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep at it!!

Mud is right. First get to know your detector. I'm not familiar with your particular model. I have the Pioneer 505. I run the sensitivity at 12 o'clock and I run it in disc mode but don't discriminate out anything. In other words I run the disc/notch knob fully ccw. I listen to the tones and decide which targets to dig. When I first started out learning my detector I dug all good solid repetitive signals. Sure, I dug up lots off pulltabs and other junk but I got to learn my detector's language and what it was telling me.
Walt