Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

detecting philosophies

detectorguy

As I read through the various forums, threads and posts I have to laugh at folks and what they whine and complain about. In general, do you have a "philosophy" that gets you through you detecting day? Like "one piece of silver and I'll be happy" or "just one wheaty and I'll be satified with finding something old" or maybe it's "I hope I find about $3 in clad today - that would really make my day!" or is it "There has got to be a gold ring here somewhere and I'm going to find it". I notice that if some folks don't get what they expect to get they complain that their machine isn't working right or they need to move someplace where there are "better targets" or some such bs to justify their complaint.

With me it is one little rhyming phrase - "I'm looking for something deep, something old, something silver or something gold"

Something else that I go by is "I only dig what I want to dig"

And finally - "If I dig it all I won't have a reason to come back"

With those ideals in mind when I go out to detect I usually find some really great coins and there maybe only a couple, but it satisfies my rhyme (and me) and makes me want to go out again (and not sell my Explorer XS and get something like a DFX or something)

What is your "philosophy"? Lets hear some of your phrases that you detect by.

detectorguy

#$&($@. %&#* &@$*)$%^ #$&#(&%#^&. %^*$#^&*(^ #$#@#%^*^$%$##$&($@. %&#* &@$*)$%^ #$&#(&%#^&. %^*$#^&*(^ #$#$&($@. %&#* &@$*)$%^ #$&#(&%#^&. %^*$#^&*(^ #$#@#%^*^$%$##$&($@. %&#* &@$*)$%^ #$&#(&%#^&. %^*$#^&*(^ #$#@#%^*^$%$##@#%^*^$%$##$&($@. %&#* &@$*)$%^ #$&#(&%#^&. %^*$#^&*(^ #$#@#%^*^$%$##$&($@. %&#* &@$*)$%^ #$&#(&%#^&. %^*$#^&*(^ #$#@#%^*^$%$#

[quote NH Bob]#$&($@. %&#* &@$*)$%^ #$&#(&%#^&. %^*$#^&*(^ #$#@#%^*^$%$##$&($@. %&#* &@$*)$%^ #$&#(&%#^&. %^*$#^&*(^ #$#$&($@. %&#* &@$*)$%^ #$&#(&%#^&. %^*$#^&*(^ #$#@#%^*^$%$##$&($@. %&#* &@$*)$%^ #$&#(&%#^&. %^*$#^&*(^ #$#@#%^*^$%$##@#%^*^$%$##$&($@. %&#* &@$*)$%^ #$&#(&%#^&. %^*$#^&*(^ #$#@#%^*^$%$##$&($@. %&#* &@$*)$%^ #$&#(&%#^&. %^*$#^&*(^ #$#@#%^*^$%$#[/quote]

Is that:
1) toward your detector
2) because of the park you're at
3) toward your buddies 'cuz they got a better find than you
4) is it due to scratching a really nice find
5) all of the above

:detecting:

detectorguy

I go out with the philosophy that the best treasure you find will not be under your coil, but it is the places you go, the things you see, and the people you meet while doing it.

Scraps of metal, ANY metal, come in second to that. After that, just the act of swinging my coil with the expectation of finding some treasure in the ground makes me glad to wake up every morning. Next, is finding treasure of any kind. Last is having the treasure at home to clean up and enjoy and ponder the history behind it and to reflect on what I did to find it.

Part of the fun of metal detecting is the "thinking" part of it. What detector to use for certain environments? What settings to use? Determining the hunt sites areas of most importance. Digging a few targets to determine what is in the ground and at what depth, and also how mineralized the ground might be. Is the ground red clay or old rich black dirt? Deciding how to overcome the stability (and other issues) of the detector for that area.

Another part I think people overlook is the importance of asking permission, researching the area, and talking to people who know about the area that often provide great leads and useful tips - like how they gambled behind the barn, etc. When at the door you will often hear things like "I find old coins all the time after I plow the garden!" So it is good to get in touch with the people who are on location.

I could go on and on (and it looks like I have), but for me the philosophy goes way beyond one type treasure hunting, like coins, relics, etc. I try to hunt for the treasure that is there, and there can be civil war sites, the beach and ocean, local lakes, parks, homesites, schools, churches, construction, and anywhere else where there is a likelyhood that treasure was lost there. Location, location is almost always more important than how your detector is set up (unless you don't have it turned on), and what your favorite thing to hunt for is. If it is not there in the first place, you won't find it.

But to me being on location (with permission) and swinging my coil is good enough. Of course I like to find things as much as anybody else, but when it stops being a fun hobby and my contentment with it depends on what or how much I find, then that will be the day I need to give it up.

I've had the good fortune of finding 5 gold rings and a gold pendant in the last two weeks. That is good enough for me. I also know times when I found much less - but was still very happy. I know there are those who have found more or less than I have. I am glad when I come here as see others post great finds and they share them with me and the rest of us. I especially like to see a new guy with their first detector post their finds and excitement here. This is a great place to learn and gain motivation.

Sooner or later the finds will come as long as you are sweeping the coil over potential ground.

That is my Philosophy!

HH Alton

That's like saying the glass is half empty or the glass is half full. Maybe just maybe the glass is twice as big as it really needs to be.

It helps keep evil spirits away!

Shaman.gif

[quote metalmiester]That's like saying the glass is half empty or the glass is half full. Maybe just maybe the glass is twice as big as it really needs to be.[/quote]

You must be an engineer!

Very nicely put Alton. My philosophy is always to set your expectations low and you will never be disappointed. If I come home with not much it is still a success because I have eliminated some unproductive area, or the next time I go to the site and find something I will be all that more satisfied.

It's like fishing - "Fishing is mearly a Mirage to those who seek to obtain it but is realized only by those not consciously engaged in it's pursuit"