Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detector for an 80 yr old Newbie

homebre

I am a Tesoro and Minelab user now and had a Bounty Hunter as my first detector 20 years ago. Someone asked me to recommend a detector for an 80 year-old who wants to start the hobby, so I am asking for advice. Thx

XP ORX (advice from another 80 yr. old with years of experience).
homebre said:
I am a Tesoro and Minelab user now and had a Bounty Hunter as my first detector 20 years ago. Someone asked me to recommend a detector for an 80 year-old who wants to start the hobby, so I am asking for advice. Thx

Depends on what type of hunting. Beach, relic or parks. Some people give up after 1st hunt after finding nothing but junk. I've seen older people who can't even manage a digital tv. Find him a used one knob Compadre for around $125.

For Tesoros, I'd agree that a Compadre or the more recent Mojave would be good choices. Both are super light and very simple to operate. Tesoro seems to be defunct but the machines are well-built and come up for sale often. The Simplex (made by Nokta) is also worth considering, but even its menu system might be too intimidating for an 80 year-old. Is he/she technically-inclined? If so, he/she might be comfortable with a digital detector with a menu system like the Simplex.

Hope this helps,

-Ken

Being 80 years old doesn't mean a person is frail, too sluggish, or a slow learner. Del is one of a few people I know who gets around and does well. Of course, he has experience and isn't starting fresh trying to learn what works, how it works, where to go and how to hunt. So in this case Andy, it would be good to know what type of detecting the 80 year old wants to do and that he or she can handle the rigors of some challenging terrain, etc., and know what they expect from a detector in the way of features and performance.

Example, I am very knowledgeable and experienced with detectors for almost any type of applications, but at 70 years old and dealing with mobility limitations from age injuries and health, I have spent this years adjusting my detector outfit and trim it to lighter-weight and easier, more comfortable detectors to handle. Knowing that the majority of hobbyists in this great sport get their start, and most seldom go beyond, typical urban Coin Hunting, I believe an 80 year old just getting started might be best served with a detector more fitting to Coin Hunting and not trying to tackle a very dense iron littered site that is often found in rougher or brushier terrain. I also feel it should not be a heavy detector or awkward to handle. It should have ample adjustment functions and common features found today, and also have an All Metal Pinpoint mode to better locate targets t be retrieved. However, I do not feel it should be overly cluttered with too many adjustments or be something a newcomer might find confusing or difficult to learn and master.

I don't know how healthy the 80 year old is, or what kind of budget they may want to spend to get involved in this sport, so my suggestions are to consider detectors that have an MSRP of $500 or less, and looking at those that are available that I feel would fit the above suggestions I made, I would suggest any of the following:

Fisher F-44
Nokta / Makro Racer 2 or Simplex +
Minelab Vanquish 540
Teknetics T2 Classic or Teknetics Patriot

In my personal detector group I have six different models that are terrific performers, but they are also discontinued models from Nokta / Makro, Tesoro and White's. The rest are new or currently manufactured models, but they have an MSRP greater than $500. Those include the two XP ORX units I bought this year. I have not used any model from Garrett or White's with an MSRP under $500 that is what I would consider to be a worthy investment and providing ample in-the-field performance for general urban Coin Hunting. The other models I own and use that have an MSRP under $500 include the Fisher F-44, Teknetics T2, and Nokta / Makro Racer 2 and Simplex +.

Of those listed I did have the opportunity to check out a Vanquish 540, but indoors only and I didn't purchase it to try afield. But based on that hands-on quick test using a few sample targets, it is one I would recommend checking out and added to the list. The others, except the Patriot, are all units I own and have here in my den and would recommend to anyone. They are there because they work, they are built well, and they will serve many needs just fine. And I can guarantee that ANYTHING I have now, each of them would have been a terrific detector to have had when I got started back in March of '65. And any of those I gave as under $500 suggestions would have been Top of the Industry models even through 2006 when the first Teknetics T2 was introduced. So the individual could select just from that group of six models have be off the a terrific start in getting out and having fun.

Monte

What needs to be known is what the gentleman wants to hunt. Be it relics, Ghost towns, beaches , backyards or parks. Any recommendation without any hint of any of this, is probably useless.

Great responses from everyone. I am 64 and in good shape. I am one of the trainers for many of the newbies that come to the metal detecting club I'm a member of. Some of them show up with an Equinox or a Deus and have never used it before. OMG! Rarely do they stick with it and soon are out of the hobby. For those that don't have a detector, we start them out on a simple to use detector that will not have them digging 1/8" pieces of aluminum or buckets full of can slaw and pull tabs. What I have found with the vast majority of these newbies is that learning an easy detector like a: Fisher F22, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett Ace series, Teknetics Minuteman, Whites TreasureMaster is not the issue. Most of them enjoy swinging the detector and zeroing in on targets. The biggest problem I have seen especially with newbies older than me is their inability and/or lack of desire to recover a lot of targets in a park or field situation. Getting down on the ground and getting dirty was not really part of the picture they had in mind. Target recovery, as we all know, either with a shovel, digger or coin popping does require some level of fitness, stamina and perseverance which most newbies just don't have..... I end up setting up some of their detectors for shallow to surface targets only. Many of them just can't dig more than about 10 targets and they're done!

Jeff

That depends on how tech savvy the 80 yr old Newbie is. I am nearly that old and my limitations are more physical than anything technical. (I have been in electronics for 60 years)

The Xp Deus has kept me in the game simply because of it's light weight. Being able to tweak it a lot is just a huge bonus.

Just my $.02 worth.

Jerry

For tesoro, if they have good dirt, the compadre. If not then the Mojave is good.
Although tesoro recommendation may be kind of moot given recent events and the scarcity of both those models. Some higher end tesoros are still in stock many places, but nothing for an 80 year old newbie.

How about a Teknetics Delta 4000 with Headphones?