Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detector for gold

Looking for a detector to hunt for gold in my local area. Already have a Etrac for coins. Any suggestions? Thinking about a Xterra 705. Thanks

If you want a detector just for gold then a better choice would be the White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2, and Makro Gold Racer. For detectors that perform well on gold, coins, relics, etc. then the Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, Notka Fors Gold, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, White's MXT, Teknetics G+, and the Minelab Xterra 705 are pretty good choices. Don't forget about all the PI detectors.

Tesoro Vaquero, Outlaw, Mojave, Compadre etc. Set disc to just knock out a foil cap and dig all repeatable tones left to right, back to front. You will dig lots of pull tabs but you will find the gold.

Cintitomcat, EMI will be your major concern. You'll want something that will run stable. ATPro runs stable in high EMI areas. Lobo St runs great. Gold Bug Pro sometimes has to be dropped to 80 to get it stable. The new DST model F75 run stable believe it or not. The extra high frequency units would be ok for chips but in the turf they would just be trash squealers. I liked the F5 but the EMI can shut it down and the EMI gets worse every year. I've never been a fan of the xterra series but thats just me and the noise cancel on the 705 would be a big plus in those environments.

Good luck,
Mike

cintitomcat said:
Just looking for jewelry around the school grounds, soccer fields.

Ok, thanx for clarifying that it was not gold NUGGETS you were asking about. Ie.: not prospecting type needs.

Now that we know you're talking about jewelry in turf (school grounds, athletics, etc...), then why not just simply lower your disc. all the way down on your etrac ? So that the only thing you're disc'ing out is iron ? And you can set up your tones to accentuate low conductors just fine.

Or has someone(s) gone to your area school and sports fields and strip-mined all the low conductors out ? So that now you're needing to return with something capable of getting tinsel thin chains and earing studs ? If your parks, schools, and athletics are like most: getting "low conductors" is hardly a problem. Most of them I can think of, you can merely turn down your disc. and have NO PROBLEM filling your apron with low conductors (tabs, foil, etc....)

Or if you were wondering if a machine exists that can go after *only* gold, the answer is no :( Unfortunately alloyed gold and aluminum share the same conductive ranges. You can challenge the odds by concentrating on certain types of turf. Like athletic fields where frolicking occurs (around goal posts) and where they do not entertain picnicking/eating. Because the MOMENT you go to a park where eating/picnicking occur (picnic tables, BBQ pits, etc...) is the minute foil and aluminum is introduced. Contrast to turf that is exclusively sports, and you'll have less aluminum. Or .... simply go to swimming beaches.

Go look at the Tesoro Golden Sabre as it has a dual disc mode called NOTCH in which you can adjust to either accept or reject a certain metal. I have retrieved many keys at the beach/parks by utilizing the notch accept tuned to a key and rings both silver and gold also. In heavy trash even the reject worked out pretty good as solid hits but when object was under the coil it went silent. Fun toys for sure. I do prefer my old school GS from 85 as one of the first units I sold at my biz back in the day, soo long ago wow-Retirement more better--John

its really not the detector its a mind change that finds gold :biggrin: a mind that will let the arm know to keep digging , find park gold with the humble compadre..

AJ

I pretty much run the Etrac full screen but 26 and lower. Already dig a lot of nickels. looking for something to narrow those gold ranges down and something with less weight for long hunts. Already have an At pro, may have to get it back out of the box with the 5x8 coil. Thanks for the feedback

Tesoro LST is proven and simple and stable, easy choice

Hoser John said:
Go look at the Tesoro Golden Sabre as it has a dual disc mode called NOTCH in which you can adjust to either accept or reject a certain metal. I have retrieved many keys at the beach/parks by utilizing the notch accept tuned to a key and rings both silver and gold also. In heavy trash even the reject worked out pretty good as solid hits but when object was under the coil it went silent. Fun toys for sure. I do prefer my old school GS from 85 as one of the first units I sold at my biz back in the day, soo long ago wow-Retirement more better--John

John, this notching would not be to accept or reject "certain metals". It is to accept or reject certain TID's. Which is a different beast. There are metals that unfortunately share the same conductivities. And for purposes of this O.P.: Alloyed gold and aluminum share the same TID, on a size-per-size basis :(

Yes it's true you can minimize some digging of commonly recurring junk with notch (small foil, round tabs, etc...): Rest assured you will miss some gold doing this. And rest assured: You will still digs lots of junk doing this. Especially in a park that abounds in can slaw (cans that tangled with lawn mowers), and parks with can nuggets (cans thrown onto BBQ or bonfires that create "nuggets"). Or parks that abound in larger wads of compressed foil, etc....