Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detector for nuggets?

Rebel1

So, you want to try nugget hunting with a detector. Which one should you buy? If you had a choice between a Nokta Fors Gold, Whites MXT, or a Fisher Gold Bug Pro, which would You choose and why? Would be hunting in N.E. Oregon with highly mineralized ground.

Don't forget the Makro Gold Racer.

Nokta Fors Gold, Whites MXT, or a Fisher Gold Bug Pro specifically?

Those exact three choices - 15 kHz Nokta, vs 14 kHz White's vs 19 kHz Fisher - not a huge difference there in gold capability on way or the other so look hard at the features each offer (do you want to coin hunt also) to help decide. I can find gold with any of them so for me it is more about the specific feature list. Can't really go wrong with any of them. Knowing nothing else however the Gold Bug Pro is a very popular and very safe choice.

WELL,I think minelab is # 1 in gold detectors,also the best gold detector in Alaska is the white's GMT DETECTOR---50KHZ IF THEY STILL MAKE THEM?

How about Garrett's AT Pro with the 5"x8" coil? Would that one be about as good as the AT Gold?
I need something with more versatility than a gold machine.

If the AT Pro was as good as an AT Gold for prospecting then Garrett need not have made the AT Gold. If you compare features you will see you give up almost nothing going to the AT Gold over the AT Pro. You get a true threshold based all metal prospecting mode the AT Pro lacks. On the flip side the AT Gold has a smaller coil (good or bad depending on how you look at it) and the custom saved notch mode on the AT Pro is missing on the AT Gold. The AT Gold higher 18 kHz frequency is not as well suited for salt water as the AT Pro 15 kHz, which still is not that great.

Any metal detector can find gold nuggets if they are shallow enough and large enough. That said nugget detecting is one of the most difficult types of detecting you can undertake, and any advantage offered by way of equipment is desirable if you wish to be successful. So yes, I know I could go find gold nuggets with an AT Pro but it would not be my first choice. If you are serious about metal detecting for gold nuggets, get a detector which was designed with that as its primary design goal.

I have been going back and forth between the AT Pro and the AT Gold.
I did not realize the AT Pro lacked the all-metal mode. Thanks for the
information. I have an AT Gold on the way.