Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detector ignores certain metals...

Started to put this on the Infinium LS forum but that place is a ghost town...

I've noticed the Infinium LS ignores certain metallic objects; this is using the stock DD coil. My wife has a stainless steel chain mail bracelet that is rather heavy but gives no signal, it also gives no signal on the Pinpointer. Once some years ago, I encountered some stainless steel bolts that also did not give a signal. At the time I was fixated on something else so wrote it off later as maybe having the machine set incorrectly. I recall some years ago a very heavy, plated, serpentine necklace that was virtually invisible to it. Was doing some beach detecting recently and noticed that some rather large flakes of rusted steel were virtually ignored. These did have enough iron to stick well to a magnet. On the other hand, it gives good signals on bobby pins and small lead shot. It's not that I'm into stainless or rusty steel but was under the impression that PIs were true all metal detectors. The dirt/sand at the beach I was on has a lot of black sand as well as the normal beach salt and it was ground balanced (best it could be) so maybe that was a factor. It was chatty too but manageable.

What is your discrimination set at?

If it is too high, the detector will ignore more metals.

Try setting it to zero and I might suggest you set it no higher than 3.

My simple test is with a nickle; keep the discrimination so you can detect a nickle.

Desc was set on zero, picked up nickels fine. Threshold was set about four, just enough for a lite steady tone

Next thought would be to find some one close by that owns an Infinium and do a side by side comparison.
If there is a big difference I would first swap the two coils and retest. If nothing changes then give Garrett a call.
And of course if the lack of signal moves with the coil swap, get a new coil.
FYI:
The only "mod" that I know of is to correct false signals as the detector's coil connector enters and exits water.
The "fix" for that is to remove a connection (black wire) that is connected to the coil's connector and the circuit board.
Other than the false signals and a bad 8" round coil, I have had no problems with my Infinium.

Good luck in solving the lack of a signal from the items you mentioned. If you do, please post here.