Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detector needed for wife

MrPopTop

Needs fast recovery, ground balance, accurate VDI, Accurate pinpoint.
Depth can be 6".
Needs to be light.
Have $200 already saved up. Just a matter of a short time till we can make a purchase.
Wife only lets me fund this from finds...

I would say get an Ace 250. You might find a nice lightly usd one on the classifieds here!

Mike

Welcome Mr.PopTop...glad to have you posting and hope you find the detector that you want! May God Bless! Amen! :angel: Ma Betty

Something with a DD coil the Xterra 305 has a DD available and will get some good depth. The factory coil is a 9" concentric but there are several DD coils available. I use a 5x10 or 6" 18.75khz DD on my 705s most of the time and they have great separation. The 6" DD being the best. I also have an AT Pro and it gets pretty good separation with the factory DD coil. I get good Separation with the 8" coil on my Explorer.

Best to worst for separation of what I have and coil combos

1 Xterra + 6" DD this is absolutely a killer in the trash

2 Xterra + 5x10DD (almost as good) or Explorer + 8" FBS this is more or less a toss up depending on situation and goal

3 AT Pro + factory coil (is DD 8.5x11)

4 Explorer + 10" FBS or Xterra + 10.5 7.5khz DD again a toss up Explorer gets the nod though for depth and ID while the 705 is a bunch faster

5 Xterra + stock coil (is 9" concentric)

The 6" and 5x10 for Xterra have a very narrow field of detection and get good depth with the 5x10 being a little bit deeper.
AT Pro field seems almost as narrow but I do not have a ton of time on it yet, but it is longer so still hits a little bit more trash, but not much.
Both Explorer coils have a little wider detection field as does the 10.5 Xterra coil, the 10.5 Xterra is a tad wider than the Explorer fields but has nearly the depth as the bigger of the Explorer coils.
Keep in mind that there are a BUNCH of other Explorer coils available that have better separation and some say better overall performance, there are also other coils for the AT Pro and Xterra. There are no better coils for separation for the Xterra though. I have heard that the 6" 7.5khz concentric is HOT and gets a bunch of depth (for a 6" coil) but still doesn't the overall separation os the 6" DD and the 6" DD is IMO a better choice because of the field shape, not shaped like a cone.

All of these combos get used when I hunt, again depending on location and desired target with the exception of the 9" concentric on the Xterra which has only been on the machine 3 times since new. I just do not like the coil much.

I do find that the 5x10 Xterra is a fast and forgiving of sweep speed and the AT Pro seems to be also. The Xterra series are frequency adjustable depending on coil choice, 3khz, 7.5khz and 18.75khz. Early 305 and 505, 30 and 50 machines may not take the High Freq coils. You should check if you are interested.

Coincidentally the Explorer will pick out coins that are masked by iron to my other machines, and so far the Garrett seems to disc out the iron well.

This is my experience in my neck of the woods (Eastern Washington).

HH
Jeff

MrPopTop said:
Needs fast recovery, ground balance, accurate VDI, Accurate pinpoint.
Depth can be 6".
Needs to be light.
Have $200 already saved up. Just a matter of a short time till we can make a purchase.
Wife only lets me fund this from finds...

welcome, go with a fisher or teknetics or even a bounyhunter(newer) models. they meet and exceed your requirements. anything with a pistol style grip like you get with the teknetics g-2 for example is much more comfortable to use. keep posting and let us know what you get.
chuck.

Hi; It has become obvious to me that I will never be able to go digging again. Yes this hurts me terribly but I must face reality wether I want to or not. I have a Fisher ID Edge.I am the sole owner so I know it is good. I have only used it 6 times before I just had my last surgery. I keep trying to fool myself into thinking that I'll be strong enough to go digging again but the pain in my back aqd legs tell me otherwise. To me this works out. I can use the money and you can use the detector. It is lightweight, compact, easy to use, Accurate ID, trust me it is HOT on gold. Nice smooth wooooo sound and the meter locks between 9 and 14. About 85% of the gold jewelery I found "locked" in at 14 and 3 "small" rings I found read 9 or 10. You can not mistake that gold sound at all. It has full Discrimination and Notch Discrimination as well. The depth will knock your socks off for sure. I have found quarters at 14 inches ok. Need I say more. !!! Deal : Detector w/ Manual shipped. $175 ok. Basically $150 for the detector and $25 to cver the shipping ok. Trust me, It is a good deal ok. " Everyone" here can vouch for me ok. I did not know if it was ok to Post this on the open Forum so I took that chance. Anyway, If you want you can PM me ok. PEACE:RONB :thumbup:

MrPopTop said:
We Love the AT Pros, too heavy for her tho.

You'll find that the Minelab X-terra 305 is much lighter and much easier to opporate. I personally hunt with the X-terra 505 (w/standard coil) and love it but the it's a bit more expensive than the X-terra305, which is closer to the amount you wanted to spend. Check out the different detectors, on the website I mentioned earlier for your research and have a great day in the Lord!

The Tesoro line? There higher end models are very light and have ID etc...