Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detector storage

artman60

Just picked up a used Whites Dual Field this morning. Now I have 5 detectors. Right now they are standing up on my basement floor, leaning against the wall. Sooner or later, Walks like Buffalo (my Son), is gonna step on one of the coils and crack it. I have seen pictures of detectors, hanging from a hook, by the coil. I'm thinking this isn't too good for the coil, and space savings would be good. Any thoughts. ideas, pictures of how to store units would be welcome. Thank you, Artie

Doesn't hurt the coil at all to hang detectors up off the floor...makes them nice and secure too. Against falling.

If a board was used for the shelf and slots were cut in the outside edge just wide enough for the coils stem mounting ears to fit through I don't see it being a problem, but I don't think I would want them hanging by the edges of the coil.
I take it that you do have a nice dry basement? If not, find a place in the living area to store them.
Mark

I use pegboard and hang them by the control box. Works on my White's, Tesoros, and Minelabs. See my avatar photo.

Someone sent me a photo of a U shaped hook, with a wood threaded screw on the back. It is plastic coated, and would hold the detectors by the arm cuffs. This would seem to eliminate any possibility of damaging the coils, by putting weight on them. I know it's a very small risk, but doing the math in my head of replacing the arm cuffs, or replacing the coil, helped make the decision. I just figured if I protect the coil in the field with a cover, I would in nthe basement. The coil cover would probably also protect it when hanging from a hook. Gonna have to try a couple of ideas and see which works best, saves room, quick and easy to remove and replace detectors. Basement is very dry, is actually where my computer/makeshift office is. Thank you all for your thoughts. Artie

Yea, I have to find a better spot to store my detectors. They go between the office closet, the garage and the truck, not good. Don't think the wife will let me hang them on the bedroom wall, so that's out. The garage has too much of a temp flux. Hmm. I'll figure out something....don't want to have to tromp through the house to get to them though, but may not have a choice.
Yea Artie, my wife hangs her guitar on hardware like that. I'll have to look for less expensive ones though. Now to look for an empty wall.

I just take the batteries out put my machines in their carry bags and put them in the rafters in the garage. Temp swings aren't a problem.

I have a few gun racks that I use. Keeps them off the floor and in the house. I do take the batters out.... KEN

Lotsa good ideas. In my perfect world, I would have nice deep, shelves for them to lie on, but shelves seem to fill up very fast. Artie