Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detector storage

NathanShort

How many of you have a room or wall in your house dedicated to your detectors? Im redoing (patching ,painting .exc..) a wall in my garage. Would like to see some ideas on shelves or hooks to store all mine. Ham radio guys have have what they call their "Ham Shack" were all the equipment is kept. Most ham guys are happy to show it off. Wondering if detectorist do this?

I have a couple plastic coated hooks (ones designed to hang bikes from garage rafters) screwed into the wall near the gun safe. With the control heads facing the wall the coils and shafts hang secure and parallel to the wall. My bug out bag and small accessories box stay on the floor underneath. Keeps everything organized and neat.

I made what is essentially a gun rack. It holds 5 machines and has a base for batteries, pinpointers, etc.. The rack is wall-mounted. The metal detectors are stored horizontally. On the inside of the outer boards (on the rack) I use velcro patches to hold the headphones (the container - which holds the headphones) for my ORX and the Deus. Headphones for my other machines are simply hanging on the rod of the machine that the headphones are used with. I mounted the "arms" (that hold the metal detector horizontally) far enough away from the wall, so there is clearance for the coils (attached to the metal detector). Spare coils are kept on another shelf that I built. Beneath the rack, sitting on the floor, are my ORX, Deus, and Vista X. They are next to the wall and completely out of the way, with the machines in their most compact position.

I used cheap fence boards from Lowes. I sanded them smooth, ripped them down to the size desired, and glued/screwed everything together. Then I stained them and put on a couple coats of finish. I've had the metal detector rack for a number of years now - it has held up extremely well.

I don't have pictures, but hopefully I explained it well enough that you get the general idea.

I made what is essentially a gun rack. It holds 5 machines and has a base for batteries, pinpointers, etc.. The rack is wall-mounted. The metal detectors are stored horizontally. On the inside of the outer boards (on the rack) I use velcro patches to hold the headphones (the container - which holds the headphones) for my ORX and the Deus. Headphones for my other machines are simply hanging on the rod of the machine that the headphones are used with. I mounted the "arms" (that hold the metal detector horizontally) far enough away from the wall, so there is clearance for the coils (attached to the metal detector). Spare coils are kept on another shelf that I built. Beneath the rack, sitting on the floor, are my ORX, Deus, and Vista X. They are next to the wall and completely out of the way, with the machines in their most compact position.

I used cheap fence boards from Lowes. I sanded them smooth, ripped them down to the size desired, and glued/screwed everything together. Then I stained them and put on a couple coats of finish. I've had the metal detector rack for a number of years now - it has held up extremely well.

I don't have pictures, but hopefully I explained it well enough that you get the general idea.
wow. ill use some of that. i know if i set it up half way nice it will stay that way longer.

I found a picture taken prior to putting the rack to use.

Attachments

• IMGP9048 -1 (2).jpg
    IMGP9048 -1 (2).jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 200
How many of you have a room or wall in your house dedicated to your detectors? Im redoing (patching ,painting .exc..) a wall in my garage. Would like to see some ideas on shelves or hooks to store all mine. Ham radio guys have have what they call their "Ham Shack" were all the equipment is kept. Most ham guys are happy to show it off. Wondering if detectorist do this?
My bonus room upstairs is my History room, or according to my wife, my Hysterical room. I have my relics and detectors together in one room. About 10 years ago I went dumpster diving and pulled about 4 Oakwood pallets from a dumpster that were used for hauling sod. I broke them all apart, selected the best pieces, and went to work sanding. I built a 3 shelf unit to support my detectors. The shelf is as long as my detectors and sits on the floor against a wall. I built this to where you can remove the shelves if needed. I keep my detectors stored in their carry bags and on the shelves. This worked great for me, and was rather inexpensive if you don't mind a little elbow grease.

I'll be using some of these ideas and will post pictures if its not to embarrassing lol
Hey, 76 Ford, if I can do it, you can do it. Lol I can't remember if I Welcomed you aboard to the forum or not. If not, A Big Welcome to You to the forum from Georgia. You'll like it here, a lot of great folks. Best of luck to you in your shelf/storage build for your detectors.

Here are a few pics of my detector shelf/storage unit if they went thru. With the high prices of lumber these days, wood pallets might be a good alternative. The lumber is strong, and a heckofa lot cheaper. Just to give you an idea. Nuthin' Fancy, but it works for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20211201_125013.jpg
    IMG_20211201_125013.jpg
    656.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20211201_124857.jpg
    IMG_20211201_124857.jpg
    652.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20211201_125109.jpg
    IMG_20211201_125109.jpg
    662.6 KB · Views: 172
Very nice looks good. I am not a wood person so I hang mine from the floor joists on hooks.Yours is much more practical nice build.

Well it's a start . still have to make hooks and shelves for the rest. Not as nice as others posted. Thanks for the ideas

Attachments

• 1203211300~2.jpg
    1203211300~2.jpg
    748.5 KB · Views: 151
How do,you,like that finds bag?
I haven't used it yet. Its made in China though which sucks. But it's built good. I removed belt and sewed belt loops so I can use my own belt. . I bought it for the water so we will see. I have a couple other very nice built water pouches ,but this one has the pinpointer shealth built on it.

Ham radio guy here, AE0IT, and you’re correct about how we like to display our equipment in our ham shack. However, my metal detectors are tucked away in one of my closets along with all of their associated coils and gear. I guess I could set up a display area for them in my shack. 🤔

Lol,,,, I'm not near that organized. I have 3 machines propped in one corner upstairs, and 2 propped in a corner downstairs. Accessory coils are scattered from spare bedroom closet,,, to spare bed, to desk downstairs.
I put three in the stairwell storage closet and two in the bedroom closet corner. I wouldn't say that it's super organized, but it's perfect for my grab and go on the fly needs.

You can simply use a 2×4 or 1×2 boards across a wall using screw in plastic coated broom hooks.
Sold at most any hardware store.
You can line the walls of a closet with them.
Outta site they don't walk away.
Neat, simple and cheap.
Go purty later as you grow in the hobby,er sport.
I mean my greatest addiction. 😁

I've spent half of my life trying to get organized and I think I'm an absolute failure. Maybe next year. I did get some great ideas from you guys.