Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deus 2 question regarding frequencies.

Purchased my first Deus (2) and am a newbie regarding this machine, but not multi-frequency machines.

I have a basic awareness regarding the pluses and minuses regarding running various frequences, i.e. depth, large/small targets, sensitivity to low and high conductors, and so forth.

I have also noticed that many users on this forum run their machine in single frequencies, depending on the environment they are operating in.

The question is, what is the downside to running multi-frequency? And, does running in multi-frequency make the machine more susceptible to EMI, or use more battery power, because it has to devote power to all frequencies at once?

The manual suggests running the machine "on its simultaneous programs as a priority, to make the most of an extended range of frequencies, and thus maintain sensitivity to a wider range of targets.

Thanks in advance for your replies, feedback and experience.
Having 2 or more GB points adds to ground/salt and hot rock response, and you have the additional effect of wider frequency response range vs both high and low conductors and this also effects response to target size from small to large across the board. In a motion unit the ground signal is added back to the target signal so we know what the i.d. is and having this for 2 or more frequencies add to depth and i.d. accuracy too, but it may also contribute to wrap-a-round effect. Sometimes when targets upscale drastically could too much ground signal be added especially if its very mineralized although that could also be a symptom of a poorly designed loop which exhibits loop fold over and reverses polarity when lowered to mineralized ground. A frequency good for silver may not respond to small gold at all. And one frequency may cancel better than another. I have found ML units with DD loops noisier than my CZ with a concentric, The battery drain question is moot because each frequency uses enough energy to fill the coils Q and it is different for each frequency, A higher frequency like 20kHz has more energy and will fill the Q more efficiently with less battery drain than a frequency of 4kHz. Unless stated otherwise that you have a boost the transmit power is fixed
and the sensitivity is for the receive section of your detector, and it has no effect on the transmit side power level and has nothing to do with the frequency being put out. A multi is more bang for the buck.

I don’t know that it was necessarily hilarious .
Robbing me is one thing but my wife and kids ages 8-10 is another.
People seemed to know the culprits, a local with older sons who apparently were always in trouble.
Praying on innocent tourists, women and small children is a special kind of sick.
Maybe they don’t like outsiders but the business owners didn’t appreciate it I assume. Got an apology letter from local law enforcement was the extent of everything and a great souvenir to remember
No DD, it's not funny that your family was traumatized and will never forget that incident. The way you stated it, like a comedian would, is what made me laugh. I apologize for the laugh emoji.

Having 2 or more GB points adds to ground/salt and hot rock response, and you have the additional effect of wider frequency response range vs both high and low conductors and this also effects response to target size from small to large across the board. In a motion unit the ground signal is added back to the target signal so we know what the i.d. is and having this for 2 or more frequencies add to depth and i.d. accuracy too, but it may also contribute to wrap-a-round effect. Sometimes when targets upscale drastically could too much ground signal be added especially if its very mineralized although that could also be a symptom of a poorly designed loop which exhibits loop fold over and reverses polarity when lowered to mineralized ground. A frequency good for silver may not respond to small gold at all. And one frequency may cancel better than another. I have found ML units with DD loops noisier than my CZ with a concentric, The battery drain question is moot because each frequency uses enough energy to fill the coils Q and it is different for each frequency, A higher frequency like 20kHz has more energy and will fill the Q more efficiently with less battery drain than a frequency of 4kHz. Unless stated otherwise that you have a boost the transmit power is fixed
and the sensitivity is for the receive section of your detector, and it has no effect on the transmit side power level and has nothing to do with the frequency being put out. A multi is more bang for the buck.
Thank you sir!!!

I don’t know that it was necessarily hilarious .
Robbing me is one thing but my wife and kids ages 8-10 is another.
People seemed to know the culprits, a local with older sons who apparently were always in trouble.
Praying on innocent tourists, women and small children is a special kind of sick.
Maybe they don’t like outsiders but the business owners didn’t appreciate it I assume. Got an apology letter from local law enforcement was the extent of everything and a great souvenir to remember
Blount County actually has a very low crime rate. I’ve never heard a case of locals intentionally targeting tourists, though in the National Parks there is a degree of property crime.

Townsend, Tennessee, gets a lot of tourist traffic, which creates a lot of targets if opportunity for petty criminals. And, probably back 20 years ago when you were in the area, most tourists to that are didn’t travel armed.

To make matters a bit worse, that little “burg” at the time only had a police chief and maybe two, maybe three at the most, officers who worked shifts. That’s not much of a deterrent to criminal activity.

Blount County actually has a very low crime rate. I’ve never heard a case of locals intentionally targeting tourists, though in the National Parks there is a degree of property crime.

Townsend, Tennessee, gets a lot of tourist traffic, which creates a lot of targets if opportunity for petty criminals. And, probably back 20 years ago when you were in the area, most tourists to that are didn’t travel armed.

To make matters a bit worse, that little “burg” at the time only had a police chief and maybe two, maybe three at the most, officers who worked shifts. That’s not much of a deterrent to criminal activity.
It was more in the Townshend area then Marysville. Went through the town of Marysville to get there. Don’t remember the county off the top of my head or which department responded.
Remember one person saying, it was probably so and so living over there and his kids.

Greg, I lived in Knoxville for a few years back in the early '70's, off Kingston Pike where a new mall had been built. Great area, great town in a great state. We even became U.T. fans. The local school buses would pick us up , take us to the stadium , the take us back to our front door. Unbelievable! Like most stadiums, U.T. had limited parking. I never heard of any kind of crime back then.

Greg, I lived in Knoxville for a few years back in the early '70's, off Kingston Pike where a new mall had been built. Great area, great town in a great state. We even became U.T. fans. The local school buses would pick us up , take us to the stadium , the take us back to our front door. Unbelievable! Like most stadiums, U.T. had limited parking. I never heard of any kind of crime back then.
Everyone was nice and hospitable. Im sure since the beginning of time there is always one bad apple literally everywhere.
We had just got there obviously lost our valuables, became late and didn’t feel safe with the kids so the person in charge put us up for the night on his property until we left first thing in the morning.Was surprised to get an apology letter from law enforcement as well
Im sure there was some crime just like everything else you here about it more now with the internet and media

That mall is called West Towne Mall, and it's grown quite a bit since then.

Like just about every city, Knoxville has its "bad" part of town. If it weren't for the East Knoxville community, and a couple of places in the northern part of the city, Knoxville's murder rate would be rock bottom. As it stands now, if someone's shot, there's a 95% chance it happened in east Knoxville.

Parking hasn't improved around U.T. either. :drinking: The university polices the parking lots and parking on the streets like the Gestapo, NOT to repel crime, mind you, but to make sure to get the maximum parking fines they can get out of you.

Remember Cumberland Avenue and "The Strip?" The Strip was THE PLACE to be on Football Day, but the last Mayor of Knoxville killed that, and most of the local business. She made Cumberland two-lane instead of four lane, and it is a total PITA to navigate on, and yes, parking is minimal. In essence, The Strip is a place you walk to as a local college student living on campus or nearby---you don't drive there, park, and dine or drink or shop. And that being said, I think that was their aim, to make The Strip as a business area sustainable by the campus population.

One by one, the old, classy restaurants on the Strip have closed down. Copper Cellar held on as long as it could, but it finally fell too.......

They've also torn down nearly every elegant, historical, two story home in the campus area dating back to the late 1800's, and replaced it with rectangular student housing or student condos. It's almost like somebody wanted to completely get rid of an entire period of history, so they razed every old building to the ground and replaced them with colorful building blocks.

Lastly, the past and current mayor have both "encouraged" homeless people to live on the streets. So now, like Los Angeles and San Franscisco, business owners have to watch where they step of a morning when they open up for business, and patrons of those businesses have to watch their backs. In the last, say, five years, Knoxville's homeless has expanded in all directions, and if detecting in a patch of woods within the city limits, it's safer to NOT wear headphones, and you better not be out in the woods by yourself, because you just might get attacked by several people at once. When Autumn comes, and the leaves fall from the trees, it's easier to spot the homeless camps you didn't even know were just down the road, or behind your house.

That's Knoxville now.

Don't get me wrong, compared to other places, Knoxville is great, BUT...................

...........it has changed in the last twenty years, and not for the good.

Maryville, where I live, is southwest from Knoxville, towards the Smokies, and it is a much, much better place to live, but we couldn't keep it a secret forever, and folks are FLOCKING to Mayville in droves. It's almost like every person fleeing California, New York, New Jersey, etc., found out about Maryville and are coming as fast as they can.

Oh well.

Greg, thanks so much for the update on Knoxville. In the '70's it was a great place to live but that was a long time ago. I'm a person that doesn't like change unless it brings positive results but it seems inevitable. Never could understand why a lot of changes in most cities brought negative results. Do you remember a restaurant near West Towne, I believe on Kingston Pike, that had a medieval motif? Trying to remember the name has been driving me crazy for years. We only ate there on special occasions. My friend, thanks for the memories. Oh yes, if I drove up there with a friend (female) would you and your wife (girl friend) like to meet for lunch, my treat? Nostalgia just kicked in! Again! My friend lives in Brunswick, Ga. and I live on a farm near Millen, Ga., 50 mi. south of Augusta. She lost her spouse to cancer and I lost my wife in a commercial plane crash. All over 20 years ago. Forgive me for the rambling. Oh yes, the farm was in the path of Sherman on Dec. 1 and 2, 1864. More rambling.

Jim, I would like to meet you in Knoxville with Greg, if it happens, but Germantown is a long, long way from Knoxville. My granddaughter and first grandson were born in Memphis. 22 years ago. Big changes in that area I'm sure.

Jim, I would like to meet you in Knoxville with Greg, if it happens

Remember Elton on this forum, may he Rest In Peace, he and I made plans a number of years ago to meet in Knoxville and at the last minute his mom got sick and we had to cancel. Thus, if the timing is right, have detector, will travel. lol We've been here since 1976 and two of our three sons went to UT, so made that across state haul numerous times. We had a small business in Columbus, Ga for a few years, so have some ties to Ga, too. You and your friend live in nice area's. Wife and I go over to St Simon's Island usually in the fall almost annually. Brunswick or the Island would be a good place for lunch, too. You all take care. HH jim tn

I actually grew up in Brunswick and lived on Saint Simons for about a year when I was stationed at NAS Glynco. I got my wings there and was sent back twice more. And no, I'm not an angel. Met my wife on the "Island" in front of the King and Prince Hotel. Best thing that ever happened to me. Such a beautiful person, inside and out. A true southern lady.

Jim, let me know when you go to SSI next time, if you want to. I'll take you and your wife to lunch, my treat. I've been going there since the late '40's as a kid. I can show you where the 54th / 57th Mass. Regiment camped on SSI. Can't remember exactly the number of the regiment. I found a .69 Minnie drop there. It was an all black Regiment that came down after burning Darien (18 mi. north) to the ground.

Couple of spots there, you would know them, that I coin hunt on each trip and while I'm sure they have been pounded over the years, usually can sniff out an old coin or two each time. Did get a pretty decent large cent there a couple of years ago. Love the King And Prince. If we can hit a good rate, we will stay there. Barbra Jean's shrimp and grits are to die for in my book. Would enjoy meeting up with you. HH Jim Tn

Greg, can you pronounce Maryville, using the written alphabet to express the way the locals pronounce it? I'm not sure that means what I meant to say. Anyway two Maryville girls that worked for me seemed to say "Muraville", "Murryville" and "Murville". Great gals. We kidded each other, esp. on "breaks".