Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deus in high mineralized soils? Or Equinox?

RobG

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.
I need help buying a new metal detector, I'm really torn between an Etrac, an Equinox 800 and a Deus.

I'm a coin / relic hunter, not interested in digging iron. My research conditions are as follows: highly mineralized soils (volcanic soils), often polluted. Always in land, no beach.

I had an XP Goldmaxx Power, which gave me some satisfaction, but I found the following problems: a little unstable and not too deep due to mineralization, very scarce in discrimination (I believe because of mineralization, but I had to dig too much, often to find only iron or pieces of tinfoil).

I had the chance to try an Etrac for a while and I found it incredible for its depth and ability to discriminate even in mineralized soil. Only problem: very very heavy and expensive.

I am currently very attracted to Deus, due to its lightness, reactivity and comfort with wireless, but I am afraid that in highly mineralized soil it does not go much better than Goldmaxx Power (with regard to depth and discrimination). I don't want to dig hundreds of holes without even going too deep.

Someone recommended me an Equinox 800, do you think it can work with a good depth and discrimination on highly mineralized soil?

Sorry for the boring request, but I'm returning to the world of metal detecting after a break of a few years and I want to make the right purchase.

Thanks

The 800 with multi frequency and its double D coil should be a great combination in highly mineralized soil. I don't have any personal experience I volcanic ash but if your happy with the E trac you will love the Equinox, JMO
HH Jeff

Equinox hands down multi frequency wins I know I had both sold my deus equinox is a better all around use machine..
Especially if you saltwater beach hunt.
Check out my finds with my Nox.
Mark

I live along the Columbia river about 2hrs east of Portland and in similar soil to what you describe... ash, basalt rock, etc. My backyard soil can mask a dime at two inches for some detectors due to its mineral content. Im not a geologist so I'm unsure of its composition, it's just bad.
I've owned multiple detectors and if you look at my posts you'll see reference to trials in bad ground.
I found the ctx to be the best detector for depth & ID of all I've used but I use a minelab harness to bear the weight. I also own & have used the 800 for the past year and while it's better for separation with similar ID at depth it runs chattier than the ctx in some areas where I've used it. At one freshwater beach it was unusable because of all the chatter. A lot of folks feel all soil types can be overcome with settings and or experience but I'll agree to disagree when it comes to many areas near me.
I believe the Equinox will serve your needs the best in highly mineralized soil if you don't like the weight of the etrac/ctx.
Happy Hunting

Some soil is just not kind to single or multi freq VLF detectors. I have some places where all your listed machines struggle to even go 3 to 4 inches in. In fact, pulse machines are the only ones able to crack it to any depth but then you face the iron issue some have with them. One machine not listed that does incredibly well in mineralized soil is the Tarsacci MDT 8000. It is expensive but you'll not find another non pulse machine currently on the market that goes as deep in mineralized soil.

I live along the Columbia river about 2hrs east of Portland and in similar soil to what you describe... ash, basalt rock, etc. My backyard soil can mask a dime at two inches for some detectors due to its mineral content. Im not a geologist so I'm unsure of its composition, it's just bad.
I've owned multiple detectors and if you look at my posts you'll see reference to trials in bad ground.
I found the ctx to be the best detector for depth & ID of all I've used but I use a minelab harness to bear the weight. I also own & have used the 800 for the past year and while it's better for separation with similar ID at depth it runs chattier than the ctx in some areas where I've used it. At one freshwater beach it was unusable because of all the chatter. A lot of folks feel all soil types can be overcome with settings and or experience but I'll agree to disagree when it comes to many areas near me.
I believe the Equinox will serve your needs the best in highly mineralized soil if you don't like the weight of the etrac/ctx.
Happy Hunting
Yes basalt rock ,volcanicif its the mafic rock the average Iron content is 12 to 15%, and some can be hot .also 2% to 4% titanium and magnetic

XP Deus or ORX in high mineralization for coin and jewelry hunting where numerical target ID and any kind of depth is important to you.............forget it.
XP Deus or ORX in high mineralization and in Gold Field for deep relic hunting or for gold prospecting work fantastic. In high mineralization Deus or ORX Fast program can get by but ignore target IDs since they will be of no use. It's just beep and dig for $700+.

If you want good target ID at depth the Equinox is hard to beat in high mineralization. Come on the rest of you manufacturers, give Minelab some competition.

Jeff

Equinox (y)