Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deus larger coil question

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I would like to say thank you to all. I came across this forum while looking for info regarding the XP Deus a few weeks ago while I was deciding whether or not to purchase the Deus. I found many helpful posts regarding this detector, although there were a few negative posts from individuals that seemed to be from people from my understanding, had never even seen one, but this is the case in any forum and it was easy to see through their posts. Since then Find's Administration has put a stop to all of the detector bashing (thanks) and that is good for people like me that are trying to find educated professional and experienced hunters opinions on ANY certain brand detector before making a sometimes large financial decision.
Has anyone had any experience with the larger Deus coil as far as depth and weight?
Again thank you all for a great forum.

First, I do not have the larger coil but have been doing a lot of reading on the coil. first the balance on the coil is off. People who have them have made adaptors to move the shaft forward to balance the coil a little better. they say it is best to get an extra lower shaft for the coil and leave it attached, the depth adds a couple of inches. the good thing is that with the larger coil and the headphones you will have basically a new detector. You can use the headphones with one and the control pad with the other. You just need the handles for each. I will continue reading and hope to see a used one come up for sale to save some money.
But at this time I think the stock coil has all the depth that I need.

Tom in SC

It does get more depth but not a huge increase. The advantage is ground coverage. The coil REALLY covers the ground!

Thanks for your help.

I have had the Deus for a year now. I have both the 9 and 13 inch coils. I hunt mainly open fields and get more coverage from the 13 inch but only slightly better depth. (an inch or two at best depending on the target) It separates well also. I have not experienced the 13 inch coil being unbalanced but have heard that some think so. (probably due to the former main detector that I used had a 10x12 SEF coil and a Sun Ray probe mounted on it and this was a lot heavier) The 9 inch acts like a 6 inch on other detectors in that is really separates well, extremely well. I will not give any comparisons of detectors but I have an Australian brand that I use on short manicured grass and a Texas brand that I use in tall grass. It is kinda funny to think that these are mainly just backup detectors now.
I recently hunted an old house site with the 9 inch coil and found 2 IH, a V nickel and an 1856 seated dime and about 25 non ferrous targets. I went back over the same site with the 13 inch two days later and found nothing to speak of, just a few non ferrous target. I was hoping that I could eak out something a little bit deeper but the 9 inch got most it on first pass.

I have had the Deus for 3 years on and off and every time i use it i fail to get anything , it has for me been a waste of time , as for the big coil i think its best for coverage but you must use it in 12khts to get depth and use it very slow which defeats the object of the speed of the Deus . I have now sold my big coil and other extra's and will be selling the Deus aswell and this one in its original box has barely been used .
Only used the big coil but the other times with other Deus i used both coils and a multitude of settings so ..
I am going back to Minelabs for good.
This is my opinion on this machine , it may be fast but its not deep unless you go slow and deep targets are to quiet where as Minelab ET are better tones and target info, at depth the numbers completely lie on the Deus if you can hear them in the first place.

The Deus is a very good idea and very advanced but i think it is a gimmick to far i think. Still there are plenty of people that think other wise or there would not be so many of the Deus about.

Nuke em said:
I have had the Deus for 3 years on and off and every time i use it i fail to get anything , it has for me been a waste of time , as for the big coil i think its best for coverage but you must use it in 12khts to get depth and use it very slow which defeats the object of the speed of the Deus . I have now sold my big coil and other extra's and will be selling the Deus aswell and this one in its original box has barely been used .
Only used the big coil but the other times with other Deus i used both coils and a multitude of settings so ..
I am going back to Minelabs for good.
This is my opinion on this machine , it may be fast but its not deep unless you go slow and deep targets are to quiet where as Minelab ET are better tones and target info, at depth the numbers completely lie on the Deus if you can hear them in the first place.

The Deus is a very good idea and very advanced but i think it is a gimmick to far i think. Still there are plenty of people that think other wise or there would not be so many of the Deus about.

:rofl::rolleyes: maybe there just wasent anything there, i,v found some realy deep stuff with the big coil in lower khz and with 12khz it will pick out even tiny shots of lead at a normal search speed n still gets better depth than the standard coil if on quieter ground,in my 12khz settings, it seems theres is a bit of misunderstanding of the actual potential of the use of all the khz and adjustments available to tweek for ones ground and what you want to search for, the balance is fine i found shortening the last stem made it esyer to use for hours as less weight on the elbow and not to sure bout the peeps centering the coil as if you use it for deep stuff theres a chance like this it is picking up the second part of the shaft and affecting the performance also brings it closer to your feet so has to be extended out again so more arm fatigue, im sorry it hasent worked for you as on my sites so far its a joy to use and one can adjust what you want depending on how your land changes or what you fancy looking for weither it be big deep objects small fiddly bits in iron or genaral cruze your spot, if i am not mistaken the speed of the deus is in the higher range and loves polluted spots so depth is not an option and slow n low is in the lower and this is what we use bigger coils for is slow n low n hope to find a deep wicked find but in 12 n 18 khz it still seems to pick out the tinyest of things so has given me the confidence to feel i am not missing much when checking and using it on a new spot to suss and cover land :) the audio for me is perfect and can be adjusted to how you want your tones,tonal level and how you want it to sound ,wich for me is far better than having the moomins talking to me all day
happy hunting

Nuke_em, to put things straight, you could not have Deus for 3 years as it is on the market since December 2009, so it makes 2 years and 4 months. Not everyone has to like the Deus, but as for me it is a most remarkable and a very efficient detector. I am not very fond of the big coil, because of it weight and not so good balance, I use 9" and it has plenty of depth.

must be bad ground .

heres the norfolk wolfe article written before he died and he must have been the top UK expert on detectors .

http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/docs/Deus_Field_Test_pt.2.pdf

http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/docs/Deus_Field_Test_pt.1.pdf

I purchased my first Deus at Christmas 2009 and it arrived in the first few days of January 2010.

I have owned many machines over the years and The Deus is possibly my favourite of them all and I sat that as a Minelab man through and through.

That said, I was one of the first to purchase the larger coil and fitted it to a Whites MXT upper shaft with a XP GMP bottom section.

That gives me 2 Deus for the cost of the large coil and the extra shaft that I made up.

It was a guy in the USA who came up with the MKI adaptor to move the centre of gravity of the large coil and these adaptors are now in production in the UK.

The larger coil is a little deeper and certainly cover more ground but the smaller stock coil seems to give off a more crisp sound to my ears.

Our club members who have the large coil on the Deus shaft dont seem to swirch back to the small coil very often.

Having both coils fitted to their own respective shafts means that I use both coils when conditions suit.

My way of making up the complete kit seemed to be the best in my eyes and I get the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps you guys.Jerry.

Thanks for all the info and great tips.

It would be better if XP would start to make coils with a centre of gravity in a right place. Could you supply a photo of a MK1 adaptor?

Deus Coil Adaptor. MKI
Thanks to a guy Clay Digger.

I will try to get an image of the latest version :thumbup:.Jerry.