Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deus pin-point question...

Schultzie

Hi all, I finally made the plunge and bought a Deus (used). One thing I noticed is I will get a good, repeatable, 2 way tone and when I switch to pin-point I get nothing at all. It goes silent. I made sure the coil was waste high when putting into pin-point mode. At first I thought maybe the target was deep enough to be beyond the range of pin-point. So, I increased the sensitivity for non-motion but it does not help. I used the pumping feature for ground balance and thought maybe the GB was off and effecting the pin-point signal. I set it to the preset of 90. Still there is no difference. My soil is low/moderate mineralization. It has done this on more than one occasion (during the same hunt). The unit will pin-point a coin laying on the surface dead-on so the feature does work. This has me puzzled for sure. Have any of you run into this at all? I need to pick your brain a bit.

Also, when I bought the unit the basic 1 program was modified to the previous owners preference... so I did a "restore" to put everything back to where it needed to be and verified that every setting was indeed restored. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I'm not sure if this will help but try this. On deep targets, even with the pinpoint sensitivity increased to in the 90's, I sometimes have to press my coil into the ground to establish the pinpoiint.

With very little practice you can learn to pinpoint without using the pinpoint mode. It

Try leaving the coil on the earth and switching into pinpoint, just don't do it directly over a target. Thats the only way it works for me.

DirtAngler - Yes, I too noticed it seems to give a more solid tone when you push the coil "into the ground". Not sure why though.

Deusdigger - I agree with that too... the "Minelab wiggle" works pretty well for almost all unit with double d coils. I use it a lot but sometimes when multiple target are close by I like to try and distinguish the better of the two using pin-point. Maybe it's not necessary with the Deus... I'm not sure.

The gentleman I bought the unit from was having trouble with performance and I noticed a modified program when I received it (replacing Basic 1). My experience in the past has been many times with modified programs, one wrong setting and units can act ridiculously. That is why I did the restore to the Basic 1 program. I don't know if there was a problem with the program or not, I just was removing the doubt.

Thanks!

As I said earlier, with the speed of the Deus, you can shorten your swing down to an inch or two and if two targets are close to each other, by short swinging over each target and watch your VID you can see what they are. When first learning the Deus, I didn

North-South,East-West crossing keeping the coil face near the ground and watching the Horseshoe fill as you near the find works every time.

I cant remember the last time that I used pin point.:thumbup: Jerry.

Okay, I took the Deus on its maiden voyage this morning. I went to an old fairgrounds that I (and several other club members have hit hard as well as other detectorists) and had what I would call a pretty good outing. I was digging everything to figure out what is what with this unit. Pin-point was still messed up so I did rely on the "wiggle" to pin-point. Just enough to move the coil and it sounded off... maybe a 1/2" to 1" was all. I dug a handful of trash, a handful of clad, and dug two Silver Rosies (1948 & 1964). I have never dug silver on my first hunt with a new unit before so I hope this is a sign of things to come!

The "Non Motion" modes are very misunderstood and the manual doesn't help much either. There are 4 settings of "Non Motion". 1 is Pinpoint, 2 is Non Motion Disc, 3 is Non Motion Audio Disc and 4 is Non Motion All Metal. (Page 21 in the manual)
#1 Pinpoint is the default and does not detect very deep as you have found out. BUT if you set up #3 (Non Motion Audio Disc) when you turn on the Deus, it will pinpoint up to 3 inches deeper than #1 Pinpoint.
First, find out what your ground (Page 20 in the manual) is, even if you run in tracking. When you Pump the coil, see what the ground is and remember the number. Holding the coil about waist high, go to Pinpoint mode and scroll down to #3 (Non Motion Audio Disc), set the tune at about 22. Then set the Ground Balance at the number you got from pumping the coil. Next you can either leave the sensitivity at the default of 74 (I think) or you can raise it up as high as 99. I usually run it the same as what the detector is set for.
As long as you leave the detector on, it will go to #3 Non Motion Audio Disc, when you press the Pinpoint button. As soon as you turn off the detector it will take it back to the default. I always set mine up and use the pinpoint as it is as deep of deeper than Motion modes.

PryorCreekJoe

Deusdigger said:
Pin-point was still messed up so I did rely on the "wiggle" to pin-point. Just enough to move the coil and it sounded off... maybe a 1/2" to 1" was all.

So how did this pinpointing technique go for you?
Congrats on the silver!

I retrieved this from another thread... I think you meant for it to be here. Anyway, it worked pretty well for me and is much faster than using the pin-point feature and getting it exactly over the target so the box is fully blackened. I will probably just use this method. Now I just need more "swing time".