Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Developing Detecting Maps (Open Source / Research)

Sgt. Silverman

Hey Everyone,

I thought about this last night and I wanted to share. I'm all about "open-source" (sharing free information with others and have people expand upon) and figured I'd share a practice I use when doing research for tot-lots. If many of you do this already that's awesome :) If you do something that's even better or could expand upon this idea please share your successes with all of us.

Steps:

1) You will need to download SnagIt or a similar program.
2) Once you've downloaded SnagIt, open up GoogleMaps and type in "Parks" (for your particular city / town)
3) You will be able to zoom in to see if a particular park has a tot-lot
a) NOTE: Many tot-lots around here have that rubber-mat stuff so this will save you time with having to do a drive-by
4) Once you've honed in on a potential location that you might want to save you can zoom out a bit and take a screen shot with SnagIt
5) Here's the great thing with Snagit, you can now put in things like Notes, address information, arrows for area's you've already detected and so forth. (This is great because you can always update your maps as it might be some time before you can go back to a site.)
6) Keep these maps in a binder in your vehicle as they are great to help you with your contingency plans if your first and second detecting locations don't work out. (Also, written permissions, customer info is great to have on file in case a neighbor / authorities ask if you have permission and the homeowner isn't home.)

I've attached a map of the farm I detected at where I found the French Liard as an example, along with some other research I did on the property when we lived in NH (I print this info off as well and keep with my maps.) I submitted a story about this coin to Minelab 2 years ago and have included as well.

General Reid Farm

General Reid Farm current state

"The KeepSake" (Although this story is fictitious, I did research for three weeks so I had material to use as the back-drop of the story. There was a real ship that sank; the Irish did begin settling in Londonderry NH in the 1700's; the clothing and the Irish dialect was as close as I could get to for that time period along with properly writing it the way it sounded, etc.) I posted this story out here a couple of years ago so I apologize for the duplication...

God Bless and Happy New Year everyone!

Greg

Nice story of imagination of what could have been and all the info would be handy for those detecting, but since I cannot any more, I pray that those who do will find old historical places with permission to detect and find lots of goodies and relics! Amen! Ma