Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DFXer goes MXT for a week

[attachment 95081 MXTfindsfor6-16-08-1.jpg][attachment 95080 MXTfindsfor6-16-08-2.jpg]I've borrowed a friends MXT for the week and put the DFX on the shelf , how do you get past no tone ID, it took me a minute to realize there wasn't any tone ID, I just set it to what the book said, fairly simple to start the little matchbox car was down 4" and the bottle cap opener about five, I had the threshold up to far to start with and about blew the headphones off my head but once I turned it down it worked great. Hope to find something down 8" or more this week to see how it matches up with the dfx, need more silver!!!! jeff

I spoke with a gentleman last night that has been MD ing for a long time. He owns both and said they both have their place.

Based on his testing, he was of the opinion that if you program, and were willing to tweak to each individual site, the DFX could go about an inch deeper in many areas. He also stated that he loved the jewelry and coin program as is.

For him, the simplicity of the MXT's turn on and go causes him to reach for the it versus the DFX 75% of the time.

Nice finds for test site.

Looking forward to your closing commentary at the end of the the week.

Hi Jeff, I miss the tone ID with the MXT, but the ease of using it and all the other abilities the MXT has, makes up for it. Nice to see you on here. It will be interesting to see how you compare it to your DFX. I know Larry sure loves his and wouldn't want my MXT. And vice versa with me. To each their own!! Good luck and you're off to a good start. Hope you find some of that silver! It's out there! Let us know how the outcome is! HH to all, Nancy

I can't believe it I found a silver Rosy 1958, I was just saying I wanted more silver- I should say that everyday, It was down 6" the MXT made my day also pulled

My clad nickels always bang 20-22 on the VDI. Below or above, usually a pull tab for me. Havent dug any early five centers so someone else will have to chime in.

Speaking with great ignorance, I suspect the VDI differences could be attributed to differences in soil comp.

In coin and jewelry mode, you can push the finger toggle to the forward position to notch tabs. Most MXT veterans advise that this is a bad habit to get into as it can potentially cost you really good finds.

Based on your reports thus far, I think you just found your back up detector, or maybe even your primary !

Hi Jeff, Sounds like you're off and running with the MXT. Congrats on the silver and I can't wait to see some pictures. Hopefully you're Email will be up and running soon.

As to the difference in the VDI numbers. The MXT is 2 numbers lower than what the DFX reads for the same item. Don't ask me why, but it's true. And as for pull-tabs... there are some that you can tell are tabs, and others do sound just like the nickels as do gold rings in that range. You can omit them all by running your toggle switch in the forward position as Tinfoilhat suggested,but you will also eliminate gold rings too. Once you get use to the machine, you will know those deeper signals. That surprises me about the penny that turned out to be a pull-tab. You did check the hole again, didn't you? Something just doesn't sound right to me. Maybe a piece of trash nearby????? Sounds like you've got the machine set right. Can't wait to find out the final tally. Thanks for sharing and HH to all, Nancy

Well I've been finding coins and lots of pull tabs< I tried the switch in the forward position but feared I'd miss something valueable so I went back to just scanning everything, I still think I'm missing things just because of not having tone id, but if I had started on this machine instead of the dfx I don't think I'd have a problem. I'm going to use the dfx over some of the ground that I went over with the mxt and see if I find anything new. The ease of using the mxt to the dfx is amazing I keep thinking I haven't got it set right just for the fact that I'm use to spending the first couple minutes tweaking my dfx, but I'm comfortable with that now. I'll add pictures this weekend but my computer locked up solid and I can't even access anything so I'm using my wifes computer. I hope to spend more time with the mxt I believe it to be a great machine, more later , thanks Nancy and tinfoilhat for your suggestions they really helped ! Jeff

Sorry about your computer. Thanks for keeping us posted and if you can post the pictures later on, we'll appreciate it. HH and thanks, Nancy

Congratulations on using an almost turn-on and go machine. But no MD is totally like that. For instance, on all coins, VDI depends on coin position in the ground. Pennies that have been gound up by lawn mower blades won't provide expected VDI nos. as you expect. Coroded dimes will do the same. A big bottle top will register 80 or 90 on VDI - if you have a depth readout of 2 inches or less, you know it's not a half dollar of a silver dollar unless you're searching an area that has limited soil dept - then dig. My jury's out on pushihg the trigger forward.

In a recreational ghost town in RI I've explored for the last two years, I finally started finding zincs. Most heartening beacuse I've been systematicaly digging out surface garbage so as not to interfere with deeper searching. Found a few 65 pennies and and better. This is not a hobby for the impatient - keep at it. Threshold should register just at hearing perception - 'clickey' to much more will give decepively deep depth but i'l blow your head off for no reason. mike