Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Diameter Tape

Nemo

I was writing a short artile for the expanded version of Exploring Civil War Campsites and talking to Artillery Expert Pete George about how to authenticate cannonballs at garage sales, etc.. Frequently these "cannonballs" are old rolling mill balls, old high school shot puts, or iron fence post finials. Pete got me on to a new device for measuring the diameter of unknown balls at such sales. It called a diameter tape.. It measures the diameter directly by using the circumference divided by Pi. They are available at most hardware stores and from the Internet for less than $10. Stanley's model is 33-115.

Anyone else use this device?
Dave Poche

Thanks for posting. It is invaluable to anyone collecting artillery projectiles.
David@Dixie

Pete George has had a chance to look at this post and liked it. His only suggestion is that I show a picture of the tape. It's about pocket watch size. Could not resist including a picture of the Cyrus Alger 8-inch mortars at the James River.

HH
Dave Poche