Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Did I make a mistake?

archer

I never buy the newest technology. I wait and see how it does first. At least, I don't usually.... I have an E-trac on the way and am suffering a little insecurity on my decision. There doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on the E-trac yet. I have half decided to try and work out an exchange for a better vetted detector before I open the box.

I went with the E-trac because it sounded like it would be at least as good as the explorer and easier to learn.

HOW ABOUT A QUICK PEP TALK!

HOW ABOUT A QUICK PEP TALK!

Go on the MLO and your apprehensions will all fade away. Theres guys on there that will show you how to get the best out of it. Try it alone and you will end up like digitrich ,throwing the towel in prematurely.

Read my post above and it might help you decide if you made a mistake.Never aproach a new machine with a neg. attitude or you will not be pleased with it more times than not.
PS get it use it and find out for yourself.That is the only way to know fo sure, Ray.

If not and you don't have plans on becoming one soon, then no, you did not make a mistake by buying the ETrac. The Etrac is a great machine, just not better than a previous Explorer model in the hands of a competent user. My purpose for buying it was to go into sites that I have already hunted thoroughly with the SE and pull out more finds. The only machine to accomplish that for me so far has been the F-75 (which I have less than 30 hours on), and only because it can be manually ground balanced and has a faster recovery rate than the SE. The Etrac seems to plateau with it's better than the SE separation in trash at 5 to six inches in depth which I could have done with a smaller coil on the SE and just pushed the sensitivity. It's not that the machine isn't worth the 1500 bucks, because it is worth every penny. But since I already own two SE's that I can pretty much do the same thing with, what's the point of spending the money? For guys who have never used an Explorer or did and weren't incredibly successful with the previous Explorer models, they should be able to open the box of their new ETrac and hunt with a great deal more proficiency with this new model right off the bat, probably on day one. But for guys who have thousands of hours on their Explorers and dream of it's familiar voice in their sleep, that hunt with no discrimination other than their ear, this is a kettle of stinky fish. Luckily for Mine Lab, those particular hunters are a minority and my post is truly directed to them. Don't let my narrow opinion influence your confidence in your machine. The Etrac is not the wrong machine for anyone, just wrong for me and possibly a few people who hunt like me.:detecting:

I`d like to assume I`m a competent Explorer user after owning one (well two actually . The Mk 1 and Mk 2 )for three years or more even.
I have owned used the Fisher F75 for the last 12 months since their introduction. and I`ve owned the E trac since week 2 ,of their introduction.
So i wouldn`t agree with you that because your a previous Explorer user, puts you at a dissadvantage . I`d say that that is largely incorrect .