Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Did the update...all modes GB'd on the beach yesterday

therover

After I did the update, I performed ground balancing in the dry sand in all modes, and it ground balanced fine.

In the wet sand, I only performed GB in Beach Mode....fine as well.

Received my headphone adapter the day before and was very happy to have gotten it as the beach was really windy and cold and I wanted to use my Troy headphones. MK audio sounds great in them. Being able to hear the audio better has helped me figure out some of the nuances of deep rusty bottle caps. The ones in the 1-5 inch range are not an issue at all as they sound horrible and the ID is all over the place. It's the deeper ones that fool a lot of units. Experimented switching frequencies to listen to possible differences...19kHz is best in hearing the edges of them (if they are flat) as I could hear a definite difference between a deep cap and a quarter.

Got the 7 inch coil too but did not use it yet. Tested it in my test garden. Can pretty much say for sure it will be a good turf hunter.

For all you silver coin hunters out there, if you don't already know, 5 kHz is the way to go. The MK in my test garden hits all my silver coins a lot better in that frequency. Was hunting in that frequency in the dry sand yesterday and hit a deep wheatie and merc dime.

A few years back they were pushing sand around on one of the beaches that I frequent ....... they shaved it down pretty good and pushed new sand all over the place ..... before they put the new sand down my partner and I got in there with our detectors ..... it was like stepping back in time ..... plenty a Wheaties silver marks everything from back in time ...

Glad your machine is GB now that’s great news !!!!

Jim,

I have a 8 inch silver dime, 13 inch silver quarter, a 1/2 dollar on edge at 7 inches and another silver dime at 6 inches. Those are the silver coins buried. I have some clad, nickles and small gold as well. MK hits all of them as well...they are buried in the 5-8 inch ranges.

These were buried several years ago so the depths may be 1/2 inch or so deeper now.

Soil is a clay mix. I believe the GB number was around 78-80 on the MK. I have to write that down next time.

11 inch DD coil gets them all...the 7 inch concentric can't get the 13 inch quarter and breaks up on the dime. But that is running around 88-89 gain.

Going to do another test with it with the gain cranked higher but the MK gets a bit chatty in the yard when the gain is pushed to the max due to EMI.

My F75 in my yard goes nuts even at lower sensitivity settings with DST on. Can't even run FA mode with the small coil on it with sens over 50. That's even going through the different freq adjustments and finding the quietest one.

Ran my F75 in FA mode, sens at 90 with the small coil on the beach yesterday and it was very quiet so I know it's my yard.

Hey theRover, What mode were you testing in? In my test garden I couldn't hit my 12" quarter or 10" dime in "3 Tone"; 14khz. Then again, my yard is so full of iron junk. Also I noticed in airtest, that beach mode wasn,t near as deep as other modes.

c4teeter said:
Hey theRover, What mode were you testing in? In my test garden I couldn't hit my 12" quarter or 10" dime in "3 Tone"; 14khz. Then again, my yard is so full of iron junk. Also I noticed in airtest, that beach mode wasn,t near as deep as other modes.

What was your sensitivity set to in 3-TONE?

I'd try it again in 4-TONE with the sensitivity set at 97-98. The 3-TONE mode on the Multi Kruzer is more for speed then depth (gain @ 89 or less), the 4-TONE is fast, not as fast, but very sparky and gets better depth then the 3-TONE mode.

I re-tested today and made some notes....11 inch DD.

The MK GB'd at 79-80. The gain in 2 and 3 tone was set at 91. For 4 tone, I had to back the gain down into the 70's because it was a bit chatty (but it states that in the manual). When running gain in the low 90's in 2 and 3 tone, the machine was very quiet, even in my back yard. I do think 4 tone is deeper if you can up the gain into the high 80's low 90's. I will try to hunt in that mode next time on the beach and see what transpires. In any event, even with the gain backed down in 4 tone, the silver coins hit and ID'd pretty much the same as 2 and 3 tone with higher gain. I can see 4 tone being the deeper than 2 and 3.

Best frequency for hitting the silver coins was 5kHz. Was getting pretty solid hits and ID in the 88-92 range. Even when starting the sweep from different angles, high tone hits would repeat ( this is a good sign because some of my units cannot hit the deep dime at certain angles).

As stated in an earlier post, I think 5kHz on the MK is the best way to run for sniffing out silver coins. I switched to 14 and 19 and there is a bit of difference. Silver coins did not hit as hard. Those 2 frequencies did hit the coins but not as distinctive and the ID's were less accurate (bouncing a bit and wasn't range bound like in 5kHz). 5kHz seemed to make the high tones clearer and the ID much more accurate (not as erratic) on the silver coins.

I did run in Deep and Gen modes but for all intents and purposes, if hunting for silver coins I would run in one of the tone modes and use the 5kHz frequency.

yes, you might benefit from using the 5 kHz frequency, but mainly of the site is relatively clean and free of nails and other iron debris.

I hunt in highly mineralized environments with a GB running from about '76' to '85' range and usually 4 bars on the MMI scale. I do use 5 kHz on my Impact and Multi-Kruzer at times, but not usually when there is very much man-made iron contamination. The 5 kHz frequency doesn't seem to work nearly as well when engaging a lot of iron debris and that can impair recovery time and good-target unmasking. I do much better at 14 kHz or when I search dense trash at 19 kHz or 20 kHz.

Just my opinions on field experience with these models.

Monte

The higher 14 and 19 frequencies deal with iron much better. I reported on that when I hunted that iron laden patch of dry sand on the beach last week. I did find the small silver cross in 5kHz freq though, but it was on the outside fringe of the area full of rusty iron nails and debris.

I ended up switching over to 19kHz when I hit the area full of iron and the MK ran much smoother and discriminated the large and small rusty iron targets better. The audio is also more in tune and gives better audio response on iron in 19kHz. I did however, start to pick up very small pieces of low conductive material (small foil, rivets, etc.) but that's a good thing ! Means small gold, chains, etc. would also get picked up.

I would use 5kHz for hunting in areas where there is less iron and more alumunium/foil type targets and there is a chance to pick up some silver coins.

therover said:
I would use 5kHz for hunting in areas where there is less iron and more alumunium/foil type targets and there is a chance to pick up some silver coins.

That describes almost every park, school and yard where my buddy and I hunt. How did the gold items in yer test bed do in 5kHz, what size are the objects, how deep are they and what did each ID at?

My MK should be delivered by mid next week, and your testing and updates are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.