Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Did you know, that right in the middle of Antietam is a ...

John 'n' W.Va

private farm. I was there this past week. I watched him plow his field. The park ranger said he wouldn't sell his place to the park.

I had my detectors but couldn't leave my wife with our autistic daughter. She was in a lot of pain. So was I because I couldn't go talk to that farmer.

:usaflag:I'd bet you a million bucks that the farmer has been asked numerous times by people wanting in. I would try anyways..what have you got to lose?

I was wanting in on some private property near me here in MN, and everyone I spoke to about the "Old" farmer, said he was from the world war and would just as well shoot ya than talk to you. I drove by his place one day and saw him tossing bales onto the back of his flatbed trailer pulled by an old tractor. He would jump down and toss a couple bales then jump back up and steer the machine strait again and repeat the process, I thought to myself today is just a good a day to Die than any other, So I parked my truck and walked out into the field where he was working, as I approached he just glanced up and never said a word. He looked to be a hundred years old and knarly like an old oak tree, he had skin like leather from all the hours spent in the sun and harsh weather. His grey hair was covered by an old red cap that was covered with grease and oil. His stubbled face was hard cut and his facial hair was stained at the corners of his mouth but the tabacco he chewed. I picked up a bale and tossed it up onto the flatbed. It was a beautiful blue sky day and the wind was fresh and steady, I think we made about three or four "rounds" before the Old man even said a word. Then, just as if he was prodded by some unseen hand he looked at me and said "I don't get much help out here , even from my own sons" I thought about how to answer that, when he continued,"I fought in the war and didn't ask nor get much help there neither so I guess it should be no surprise" I just stood there letting him talk "You have thrown bales before I see" I explained that my Father raised horses and I was no stranger to Bales. He chuckled and asked if I wanted a drink after he swigged off a old mason jar, and as he wiped the root-beer colored snoose juice off the rim I politely declined. We sat and talked on the back of that trailer for about two and a half hours that day and built a friendship that lasted til he died about 12 years later, he shared his insights and thoughts on just about everything from politics to religion. He gave me permission to use ALL his land and he had a boat access to a small lake with a couple of old boats, that he let me use as well, I would catch lots of good fish on the lake and would never forget to leave him and his wife a share (cleaned of course).
I guess the point is , When people ask for something from another they should offer something back in its place. When you show others you understand what they need they offer bounty in return. The best thing I got from this event was not permission to use the property, But a friend that I will never forget. I have never told this story or spoke about how we became friends, but the first part of the forum reminded me of that day. He was my friend and I still miss him.

Yea, that reminded me of a friend of mine. I use to dirt ride and no one would go down this one holler. There was this old man that lived in an old log cabin. He would sit on the front porch with his shirt off and his rifle on his side. It was at a sharp hair pin curve where you had to slow down. I decided to visited him. I killed my engine and coasted down to his cabin. I ended up talking to him for hours. I found out he knew most of my family. My mother was born in the cabin that his brother once lived in. His road was impassable in the winter time. I had a jeep that could make it to his cabin at times and I would check up on him. He lived there till he was 97.

His own grand kids didn't know him like I did. I would tell them about their recluse grandfather who was lonely, but had a heart of gold.

I researched and found a virgin Union campsite many years ago. My father knew the property owner and secured permission to hunt. Our first day there it was ON ...bullets and buttons EVERYWHERE. The property owner came out and watched for awhile and was amazed...said " I never knew anything like this was here". I made him a plaque with some bullets and buttons on it. He was very thankfull. I found out last month he recently passed away. Was very sorry to hear that.

Old folks are very special. They have seen history that we read about. The old man that I grew up by was at Pearl Harber when the Japs attacked and would tell me about that day and the rest of the war. We stoped getting Christmas cards from him about 3 years ago and even sent him a letter and no response. I am sure he is gone and the last time I was down there on a visit I stoped in and spent a long time with him.That was 2004. He was a walking history book and a good friend.

Thats great , thanks for sharing your story , It was good of you to think of his needs1st and i agree we should be a blessing not just takers