Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Did you know ?

coin hunter

In the past I have dug led bullets that fell between pull tab and one cent using a Garrett machine. The bigger the bullet the closer to the one cent display it came. Never gave it much of a thought. I was checking for the fun of it what the difference was between a Garrett hobby detector and a Garrett detector used by the the police. The display between pull tab and what is one cent , the display on a police detector is broken down into caliber. Interesting
http://www.garrett.com/security/s_csi_250_view_panel.htm
Most detectors will just say bullet if that's what it is . On Garretts hobby machines keeping this display in mind you can get a pretty good idea of what size bullet you may be digging.

And here is another thing. If you notice my picture of the display on my Garrett 2500 there is a little white marker displaying 1ct just below Garretts red 1 c. Anytime the notch bounces to this white spot I know its a zinc penny after 1964. Any penny reading in Garrets red 1 c area in most cases is a copper penny ,1964 and earlier. What other metal detector out there can do this?

The coppers actually went thru 1/2 of '82 before giving way to the wretched zinc!! '64 was the cut-off date for silver coins!!

QUOTE: Anytime the notch bounces to this white spot I know its a zinc penny after 1964. Any penny reading in Garrets red 1 c area in most cases is a copper penny ,1964 and earlier. What other metal detector out there can do this?

Before 1982 all pennies were manufactured of 95% copper and 5 % zinc and weighed 3.11 grams. Starting in 1982 all pennies were manufactured with 99.2 % zinc and .08 % copper, they were plated with 100 pure copper and weigh 2.5 grams which makes them 20 % lighter.

When the 2500 indicates the TID number you have marked with the white 1 cent, it is a penny dated after 1964? I don't understand the 1964 dates please explain.

I have owned a GTI 2500 for 11 years and I can tell the diference between zinc pennies and copper (ie: pre 1982 copper and 1982 zinc to present) but don't know the pre 1964 your referring to. Note: there are some 1982 pennies that are 95% copper but after 1982 all pennies are 99.2 % zinc.

What other machine can do this you ask? I also own an E-Trac and I can completely eliminate digging zinc pennies and only dig the pre 1982 pennies accurately just by looking at the TID numbers on the E-Trac.

BCOOP

n/t

I stand corrected 1984 it is and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to correct my post. Anyway when the floating black cursor lands on my white 1 c most of the time its a zinc penny. That's all I trying to say. There's one thing I found out you people do know your coins. Your right I had silver on my mind. Its been a long winter in the Northeast

n/t

Those little quirks you just mentioned that aren't in the manual are good little indicators to help with your over all finds. Being observant to these subtle changes is going to make you one great metal detectorist.:thumbup:

They should do that with gold nuggets in sizes of penny weight for averages like 1 dwt - 2 dwt - 3 dwt---5 dwt, etc...

Alan

Actually like I posted the higher the lead content the higher the caliber and the higher it reads. I have to assume the higher the gold content the higher the carrot and the higher it will also read . Gold and lead read in the same area. My son has a friend that has a $ 5.00 gold piece and he ran it under the head of the detector. It read very close to the 1 cent area. Never found a gold coin so I really can't confirm that.

I have the Garretts GTA 500, like the CSI, only the first half is CSI 22-45-38- brass,lead copper, etc.. The last half is just like a regular detector, 1c-5c--10c--25c--50c--1.00. it is neat. I am thinking about selling i don,t do much relic hunting.